Sophos Email customers using IP-based mailflow rule connectors must migrate to certificate-based configuration by March 31st. To see if you're affected Click Here.

This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Import Shared Mailboxes from Office 365

We've been trying to import our shared mailboxes from Office 365. Currently we have all our mailboxes imported from AD, but our shared mailboxes are in not in our AD, only on Office 365.

From the documentation it looks like we need to use Azure AD in order to import from Office 365, however it doesn't look like it's possible to do this once normal AD has been setup in Sophos Central.

Is it possible to get our shared mailboxes automatically imported through any other means?

Edited tags
[edited by: Raphael Alganes at 2:31 AM (GMT -7) on 8 Jun 2023]
  • You have to manually add them. Its a poor system and a huge oversight from Sophos.  You will also have issues with outbound because once again they are not added to the list of mailboxes automatically.  In addition, with outbound, anything like a copier or software that sends emails outbound will not work until you manually add them.  We basically can't use outbound because we have so much that would have to be manually added.  Sophos just simply needs to auto add anything that isn't being synced via AD or Azure AD (yes, you are correct they do not let you use both.  Its one or the other) and let the admin mark it as to whether they want to protect it or should it just pass the mail freely. For example if i have a server alerting system that sends mails to my admins, i don't need it to be scanned etc.  I already know its good.  If you don't add the email address manually, at least for outbound, Sophos just discards the mail and doesn't even tell you.

• The problem is further complicated since any aliases associated with "Shared" mailboxes also have to be manually replicated in Sophos Email Gateway.  It seems the fix is easy.  Just give us the ability to sync disabled accounts in the Sync Tool.

• Hi,

This is actually in the pipeline for this year, as far as i know.

The AD Sync will get some possibilities to import other AD objects like disabled accounts etc. 

PS: Shared Mailboxes are Disabled Accounts in AD. 

Therefore most likely we will import them as an user.

https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/124703

You have actually get a license for each Shared Mailbox. 

• Shared mailboxes are licensable units.

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________

• Hello LuCar,

I another post you suggest use a Public Folder in Sophos E-mail Advanced for Shared Mailboxes of Offce365.

In this post you say Shared Mailbox are licensable, and now, how is the best form to configure shared mailboxes? Use Public Folder or User on Sophos E-mail Advanced?

• Shared Mailboxes are disabled Users. 

Users are from a Central perspective a license-able unit. You have to create a "normal user" for a Shared Mailbox. 

I am not 100% sure, how Office365 (Azure AD + Sync) will create a shared mailbox, but assuming how Exchange 2019 act, it will be the same.

If you place a Azure AD Sync, the mailbox of the shared Mailbox will be synced as a "Normal user" for Central. 

__________________________________________________________________________________________________________________