Some Sophos services are not running/missing

I have at least 20% of the computers on my network now reporting "Some Sophos services are not running/missing"

This was not the case 2 weeks ago, and invariably it is "Sophos System Protection Service is not started".

This involves a visit to that computer, pushing the user out of the way, running "Services" as administrator, which then involves typing the admin password under a user's nose.

I am sure this is not how Sophos Central is meant to work. It is highly inconvenient, and at worst liable for a security breach.

How do I start these services remotely ?

I could log in through Remote Desktop, but this would Log Out the User

• In reply to Howiedog:

Their next product line should be called: Sophos - Titanic.

• In reply to Trojan Horse:

Hindenburg edition?

• We are seeing this across our estate also, with a variety of services not running or missing. Does anyone have any fix beyond using Computer Management remotely to restart the services? I find it hard to believe that Sophos has not addressed this fully and not provided some kind of patch / hot fix. Thanks in advance!

• For the bashing Sophos has received, mine included, I need to give kudos too.  In the past few months, I have seen a lot of these issues fixed, as they have made improvements and changes to the product. 

This morning, I received an email alert that one of my client's servers has services missing or stopped.  I logged into Central and verified that there were 2 services not running. By the time I had started a ticket in my PSA, I saw that the status of all services went green. Then the alert went away and the device was in good status again. I never had a chance to finish my ticket, much less connect to the server to work on the issue.

I suspect that the Sophos agent updated and as it restarted the services the alert was flagged.   Sophos needs to increase the time-out settings by maybe another minute, but overall I was impressed that the software did was it was supposed to do.  It updated, restarted the services, and went on its way. 

• In reply to JamesGolden:

Its definitely been better... however, there Encryption service not running problem is going on 2 months now. Should have been fixed by now. 

• In reply to LRB:

can you elaborate? I've only ever had a problem with 2 machines--one was a bitlocker problem and the other because I forgot to enable the encryption policy.

We are seeing a number of services go missing (a couple of which may or may not re-appear a few days later), yet the client appears to be up to date. The main offenders appear to be: 

Missing: Sophos Device Encryption Service

Missing: Sophos Device Control Service

Missing: Sophos Web Control Service

Missing: Sophos Web Intelligence Service

Missing: Sophos Anti-Virus Status Reporter

Hi James,

This specific issue: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/132320

They note its being fixed - the problem I have is the general lack of communication and how long it takes to fix. 

• In reply to Mike Jones1:

This was very helpful.  Ran the C:\ProgramData\Sophos\AutoUpdate\Cache\decoded\sau\Sophos AutoUpdate 

The problem was resolved!!! 

THANKS!

Royce Robinson | Texas A&M Univ. Wildlife Fisheries

• In reply to Royce Robinson:

Hello Royce,

Was the issue occurring on multiple endpoints? Like 100s?

• In reply to G33k:

It was only on ONE computer.   Even after uninstall / reinstall, the problem remained until I used your suggestion.  Working well now. 

Ok! We have 1000s of endpoints on which we are facing the issue. I'll try and check if that works at my end too!!

• In reply to G33k:

I have just had an issue, my own system, where I got an email stating that a HIGH ALERT, that services were missing or not running, but there is nothing in Central about this error... wow.

email sent @ 11:52, checked Central @ 12:45, still no Alerts (on anything).

• In reply to JasonFell:

I've been reporting this for a few months.  What Sophos support told me to do was to set the services to START DELAYED

which service(s)? all or just some?