This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Device Encryption Service randomly not starting/stopping on multiple endpoints since last week's outages?

Hello all.

Since last week's outage debacle, I've seen multiple random endpoints suddenly report that the device encryption service is not starting.

There seems to be no rhyme or reason to the timing (not when starting up, after restart, etc.).  Seems possibly related to policy push issues.

Sophos support asked me to remove policies from affected devices, remove endpoints, reinstall endpoints, reapply policies. I have not opted to do this as it is not a viable solution and really wouldn't not solve underlying issues with the central cloud services not pushing out policies in the first place.

Generally I've used PSEXEC to remotely start the service and the affected clients don't seem to be popping back up again after that, but still it's getting annoying.

Have any of you encountered this as of late? Any particular data points/extrapolation you've found (patterns like time of day, etc.)?

Lastly, is this all going to be a continuing issue with Sophos. I am in charge of maintaining Sophos on multiple endpoints, and trying to deploy policies, reinstall Cloud Web Gateway...I thought this product was designed to assist with reducing management loads for endpoints, not increase them?

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents Reply Children
  • Thanks Gowtham for the response. 

Is there a person or team responsible for customer service at Sophos that this forum can be shown too? Issues like this shouldn't take 13 days, on a community forum to get response. There should be formal notification to customers. I know I sound like a broken record saying this over and over, but I really don't think Sophos seem to understand how frustrating this lack of communication to the users of the product is - however they really should. I can promise you are losing customers over this. 

• Hi LRB,

Thanks for the feedback and I really understand your concern here. Initially, it would take time to confirm if this issue is seen with few customer environments or for multiple customers based on the feedback from our user's. Once the issue is confirmed if it is affecting multiple customers we involve our internal team to investigate it and have a notification / KBA published once enough information is available.  Post which we have these issues addressed via several updates.

We have multiple Engineers and members of the respective teams are monitoring the community forum for the feedback from our user's. For latest update's with Sophos products please follow us on Twitter (Link available in my signature). You can also PM me with your queries and assistance regarding our product.

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Any update for this? its been a couple weeks now.   There still isn't an official KBA for this yet that I've seen. 

What is the effect of this on the keys being in central? I need to know. 

• Almost another week and no progress? 

• Try chatting them on Twitter.  They tend to be pretty responsive.

• Since you said you need to gather the data. So, what's the rough figure you have at the moment? How many frustrated customers, yelling users do you think are out there? What's the number? Do you think many of them are affected? Because all of the community users think that!