This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Issues with server protection on file server

Has anyone seen any issues with Sophos Central on file servers? 

We moved from on the on premises version of Sophos to the Sophos Cloud version.  When I updated our main file servers we started running into an issue where a server would stop serving files after a while (a few hours on the most active one/two weeks on another).  When on the desktop of the server everything seems fine. No CPU/memory/disk issue, \\server\share works fine locally.  

Remotely \\server\share just hangs for 30+ seconds until the connection times out.   Nothing seems to get the server running again except rebooting the whole thing.  It will then work fine for a while then break.   I can't find anything the event log or Sophos logging to point me in the direction of what is breaking.  

After I uninstalled Sophos on the busiest server the issue hasn't returned.  

Has anyone run into anything similar? 

I do have a ticket created with support.  At this point they just want me to test disabling features one by one until I can narrow the problem down.  I am trying to recreate the issue without needing actual users traffic.  I personally suspect the Cryptoguard (Intercept X?) since that is the part that is also causing us grief on the client side.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Also having this issue on all of our 2008 R2 file servers.

Issues include:

1. Unable to restart - server hangs at shutting down during weekly reboot schedule - forcing a restart allows server to spin up correctly. An uninstall/reinstall fixes this for me. After uninstall reinstall, I have not seen issue come back.

2. Spiked CPU performance due to failed client update/client stuck on "updating". This one was resolved by booting into safe mode, disabling all Sophos Services, manually disabling Tamper Protection due to the client being stuck in update mode then rebooting and uninstalling/reinstalling. This one reoccurs occasionally on random servers.

We are currently working towards migrating our data to VMs with newer OSs. We don't have an issue with the client functioning on 2012 and above.

Thanks,

Bryan

• Also having this issue on all of our 2008 R2 file servers.

Issues include:

1. Unable to restart - server hangs at shutting down during weekly reboot schedule - forcing a restart allows server to spin up correctly. An uninstall/reinstall fixes this for me. After uninstall reinstall, I have not seen issue come back.

2. Spiked CPU performance due to failed client update/client stuck on "updating". This one was resolved by booting into safe mode, disabling all Sophos Services, manually disabling Tamper Protection due to the client being stuck in update mode then rebooting and uninstalling/reinstalling. This one reoccurs occasionally on random servers.

We are currently working towards migrating our data to VMs with newer OSs. We don't have an issue with the client functioning on 2012 and above.

Thanks,

Bryan

Children
  • We are having problems with Sophos server being installed on Windows Server 2019 file servers. The server will not shut down or reboot. And the file sharing gets blocked after a few minutes of file transfer. Uninstalling the software fixes these problems. The versions we are using are:

Server Core Agent: 2.2.7

Server Anti-virus: 10.8.4.227

Server Intercept X: 2.0.11

We are uninstalling the software on our servers. In a corporate environment you can't have reliability issues on your file share servers - they need to be rock solid. Hopefully, Sophos will come up with a fix since they have known about these issues since 2018.