This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SMCaaS: Deny email on non-compliant device with the native Apple iOS Mail app AND the Microsoft Outlook iOS app

Hi all, 

We've changed our SMC solution design a number of times:

Solution 1: SMC on-premise with Exchange on-premise (best control IMHO)

Solution 2: Then SMC on-premise with Exchange Online / Office 365.

Solution 3: And now SMCaaS (Central Cloud) with Exchange Online / Office 365.

It used to be the case with Solution 2 (see above) that if you used both the native Apple iOS Mail app AND the Microsoft Outlook iOS app on a single mobile device, and that device fell out of compliance, then then Native iOS email client would be denied email until it was compliant. HOWEVER, because the mobile client in question also has the Microsoft Outlook iOS app installed too it was never denied email in Outlook because the Microsoft Outlook iOS app has a different Active Sync ID in Exchange Online / Office 365, and SMC on-premise was not aware of that Active Sync ID to deny it.

After a few discussions with various Technical staff at Sophos at the time of discovering this issue I was advised there was nothing Sophos could do, especially if we allowed our users to use the Microsoft Outlook client (which we do).

Q1. I believe (hope) things have now progressed on a positive note since bring SMC to the cloud and we have more options and control to our disposal re this dilema??? SOPHOS? If so, can anyone elaborate on them / point me to some documentation on the subject?

Q2. I think I read somewhere online that if you want SMC to manage the Outlook clients, then one had to punch the Outlook Active Sync ID's into SMC? - Is this correct? - Can someone point me to a Sophos KB re this?

In short, I'm looking for options as to how to avoid bypassing the SMCaaS [Central] Compliance controls by simply choosing to use the Microsoft iOS mail app.

Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks, 

John

This thread was automatically locked due to age.