This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

More Mac Madness on Central

@SOPHOS:

Q1. Any idea when and IF the option to ISOLATE a device (like we have on Windows in Central) will ever be available for MacOS? * 

Q2. Any news on the Central silent installer options on the Mac's; matching those options available in Windows. - Such as group assignments, etc.

Q3. Duplicate Mac's appearing in Central (known issue) - is this fixed now?

Q4. Do you have an up-to-date and detailed list showing which features are available for each platform? - I want to stop falling into the constant and every growing Sophos trap... "Oh that feature is not available on the Mac". grrr!

* I believe it was Sophos pushing the idea that Mac's are subject to malware right? So why not the same protection if they harbour the same threats? Please don't come back with numbers, as this makes no difference if it's one threat or a thousand... Malware is malware.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi  

Here's what I have to say on this: 

A1. This feature is not available as of now, and hence I would request you to raise a feature request for this. 

A2. Please vote this feature request so that our product management team can have better visibility on this. 

A3. If you are facing an issue where Mac devices are being duplicated, then you would need to raise a support ticket with Sophos Support. I recently installed a Sophos Central Endpoint on my Mac machine and am not facing any such issues. 

A4. I believe one of our partners/sales representative should help you out with this and provide better clarity. We have KBAs mentioning which policies are supported by each platform- For Sophos Central and For Sophos Enterprise Console.

Thanks,
    Yashraj Singha
    Manager | Global Community Support
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation | @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question, please use the "Verify Answer" button.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos!  Visit Sophos Techvids
  • Hi Yashraj, 

1. Having to raise a feature request to have the same level of protection for Mac's is ludicrous. However, I shall do this. - Try dealing with a Mac that has over 1500 instances of Malware. Okay, let's raise a feature request to protect our network. Unreal!

2. It was me that raised that feature request. Further to this, after a face-face conversation with Sophos MacOS Product Management last year, I was advised that this feature would be available in Q1 of this year. However I am assuming that this release is delayed?

3. Sophos have been plagued with this for years! Believe me on this! Just because you've " recently installed a Sophos Central Endpoint on my Mac machine and am not facing any such issues" doesn't mean this problem doesn't exist. It does...

Case ID #7344661  (raised on 13'th June 2017 and still outstanding) was about the third instance of this "defect" reappearing in Sophos on-premise. Defect ID ONPREM-186

Case ID #8679120 has been confirmed by GES / Dev that this issue is now being seen in Sophos Central. Defect ID CESG-6350

4. As for this, I disagree. The KBA's are not descriptive enough about the feature variances between the platforms. Tell me one partner that understand every little instance difference?

As you can tell, after 20+ years as a Sophos customer I'm getting tired of the MacOS support. Or lack of it.

Thanks, 

John

• I can confim as an on-premise user of Sophos Enterprise Console that this has been going on for years.

We use Centrify to bind our Macs to AD, and not the Apple software, although I don't believe this has any bearing on it as it happened before we rolled out Centrify.

Typically the Mac is identified in the console by the AD sync, and then when Sophos is installed a duplicate object is created which sits in "\Unassigned".  We have played around with numerous ways of sorting this, like deleteing both objects, waiting for AD sync to recreate the AD object then re-connected the affecting machine.  We have played around with the "workgroup" the machine is in, as this doesn't get changed by Centrify and it remains "workgroup" rather than being named the domain it is joined to.

Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't.

My question is what actual criteria does the server/client actually use to determine that it should not merge with a computer object already there with the same name and instead create a new one.  And why no "merge" funcationality in the client so that if, and lets be honest here, when it happens again we can merge them in the console!

Howard

• We see this behavior as well, and have for some time.