This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Will Sophos Central Client installation remove existing Sophos Enterprise Client on target machine

Hi all,

we are currently using Sophos Enterprise Console 5.2.2 and have installed Sophos Endpoint on more than 100 computers. We would like to move to Sophos Central but we would like to move in chunks. Fore example 5 today, then next 5 next week etc. We would also like to have "blank" setup. We don't need policies or settings which existed on Sophos Enterprise Console. Like we never had Sophos Enterprise Console installed at all.

What is the best way to do that?

Will new Sophos Central Instillation successfully remove previous Sophos Client installed and register itself to our Sophos Central (cloud)?

In case no, we would than need to uninstall old client first and then perform installation of Sophos Central client. Can migration tool do this without Policy migration?

Thank you in advanced,

Nikola

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello,

From my understanding, installing Sophos Central over the existing enterprise console software should remove enterprise console and install/register the client to Sophos Central.

It will get the default "base" policies applied until you start creating other policies and adding computers and or users to those.

If it does not remove the existing enterprise console software, I can give you a script to get all the uninstall strings to automate the uninstall if you wish. I believe Sophos also has a KB about the exact issue.

Thank you

• Hi Nick,

thank you for you reply. I have tried to install just to run new installer on computer which has Sohos Enterprise Client already installed and it is installed and registered on cloud successfully. What I have noticed is that some services are duplicated which lead me to conclusion that it could be that old Sophos was not removed correctly.

however, when I have installed Sophos Central Client on blank new machine it also had same duplicated services.

So I guess that this is normal.

Yes please give me those scripts. I have found this article https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/109668 regarding scripting Uninstall. Did you mean on that one ?

• Hi Nick,

thank you for you reply. I have tried to install just to run new installer on computer which has Sohos Enterprise Client already installed and it is installed and registered on cloud successfully. What I have noticed is that some services are duplicated which lead me to conclusion that it could be that old Sophos was not removed correctly.

however, when I have installed Sophos Central Client on blank new machine it also had same duplicated services.

So I guess that this is normal.

Yes please give me those scripts. I have found this article https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/109668 regarding scripting Uninstall. Did you mean on that one ?

Children
  • Hello!

I have not encountered more than 1 of each service getting installed on the machines myself, sorry to not have a solution for that.

Yes, those are the scripts I am referring to, but at the bare minimum I would stop the auto update service before running the new installer so it doesn't cause any issues.

I would run this command on a machine without Sophos Central installed and with the endpoint version installed.

function Get-UninstallString {
        param ($Application)
        Get-ChildItem HKLM:\SOFTWARE\WOW6432Node\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Get-ItemProperty | Select-Object Displayname, Uninstallstring | Where-Object {$_.displayname -match $Application}
        Get-ChildItem HKLM:\SOFTWARE\Microsoft\Windows\CurrentVersion\Uninstall\* | Get-ItemProperty | Select-Object Displayname, Uninstallstring | Where-Object {$_.displayname -match $Application}
    }

This is a PowerShell script to search for uninstall strings in the registry for applications given the name you supply.

By typing Get-UninstallString -Application Sophos* you should get all the uninstall strings for all the Sophos products installed on a PC.

Hopefully this helps