This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

sophos install does not remove Symantec

I am trialing sophos central

I thought that installing Sophos Endpoint (the install file downloaded from Sophos Central portal) was meant to detect and remove third party security software.

I have a windows 10 desktop with an unmanaged install of Symantec endpoint protection V14.

when I run the sophos installer file, the installer starts with a screen that just has an install button. I click that button and it installs Sophos.

After the desktop restarts I am left with symantec and sophos both installed and running.

Am I mis-understanding this. Is there a way i can get the Sophos installer to remove symantec during the install?

thanks

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello Adrian Nelson1,

I'm neither using Central nor do I have endpoints with Symantec Endpoint Protection on them. AFAIK the installer should run CRT, detect the products in the CRT list linked from this article and either remove them or refuse to proceed. V14 is in the list, up to 14.2.1031.0100. Naturally I can't say what went wrong with your Win10 endpoint.
    The mentioned article contains links that should help in further assessment and troubleshooting.

Christian 

• OK, resolved it.

I was thinking that the removal would be don no matter what version of Symantec i was running . I was running 14.2.1023.0100, but that version doesn't appear in the CRT list.

I ran a Symantec update to get it to 14.2.1031. I ran the Sophos install again and Symantec was removed during the install.

strange that only specific versions get removed, would have thought all versions up to 14.2.1031 would be recognized and remove.

• OK, resolved it.

I was thinking that the removal would be don no matter what version of Symantec i was running . I was running 14.2.1023.0100, but that version doesn't appear in the CRT list.

I ran a Symantec update to get it to 14.2.1031. I ran the Sophos install again and Symantec was removed during the install.

strange that only specific versions get removed, would have thought all versions up to 14.2.1031 would be recognized and remove.

Children