This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

CryptoGuard Was Detected

Hello,

A part of the alert that we receieve from Sophos says "What was detected: CryptoGuard" Isn't CryptoGuard Sophos's Intercept X component? Why does it say CrytoGuard was detected? Detecting its own product as malware?

Please throw some light on it.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Are you sure it's not a Crypoguard detection?  If so, you will have a 911 event ID in the application event log.

The Event list at the endpoint would also reference this.

C:\ProgramData\HitmanPro.Alert\Logs\sophos.log
    should also be useful.

Regards,

Jak

• Hello Jak,

This is the alert that we received

What happened: We detected ransomware trying to encrypt files.

Where it happened: ---

Path: ∕Applications∕Adobe Photoshop CC 2017∕Adobe Photoshop CC 2017.app∕Contents∕MacOS∕node

What was detected: CryptoGuard

User associated with device: ---

How severe it is: High

As it clearly says, CRYPTOGUARD was detected. Why does it say CryptoGuard was detected? What is CryptoGuard? Isn't it an Intercept X component? 

Also, there are 100s of alerts over the week. Do you mean I should login into each of the PC and check the 911 event? That's ridiculous. Is there any way I can determine its a false positive without having to reach the user and get the logs. We manage 1000s of endpoints. Its not possible to request SDU everytime I get an alert. 

• Cryptoguard is a component of Intercept X to prevent Ransomware.  I.e. a malicious process encrypting your important files.

I can only assume that maybe there is some batch process taking place which is updating existing files at a rate that looks malicious.

I think you'll have to open a ticket for this to understand why.  I'm guessing you're seeing thins just on Macs?

Regards,
    Jak

• Yes! I say, almost only on Macs. What do you think is happening? Do we have to check the logs each time we get an alert?

• Also, why does the alert notification say "What was detected: CryptoGuard" What does it mean? If the application is detected as ransomware, why does it tag CryptoGuard as ransomware?

• Hello G33k,

That means that Cryptoguard detected ransomware activity. You can find more info in the path provided (looks like an Adobe app).

Please follow these articles for next steps:
    CryptoGuard Ransomware Protection
    To find more details about a detection, see CryptoGuard detections on Mac OS X platforms

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

Reply Children
No Data