This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Problems upgrading to the Sophos Central client on Windows 7

In our environment, an in place upgrade on Windows 10 is working, but NOT working with our Windows 7 clients and we are trying to work out why.

We have been able to reproduce this problem on a number of different machines, and have taken all precautions to try and ensure it works, like disabling tamper protection and using the local administrator account.

The installation progress bar gets all the way to the end, but then states that it FAILED.

We have discovered an error message in the last line of one of the logs on the failed computers.  The log file name is: C:\ProgramData\Sophos\CloudInstaller\Logs\SophosCloudInstaller_20180911_124501.log

and the message says:

ERROR : Failed to unregister tamper protection: RemoveKeyFunction failed. Error: 5. Value name='SYSTEM\\CurrentControlSet\\services\\Sophos Endpoint Defense\\TamperProtection\\Components\\INSTALLER'.

Tamper protection was definitely disabled because I checked it, so what does this mean?  Is it relevant?

The client then appears to be in a partially installed state, with some of the new components installed, and registration to the Sophos Cemtral console, but with the main AV engine remaining unchanged.  On a couple of attempts the computer has restarted but has been unable to log in successfully, and is therefore broken.  I've been working with VM snapshots so have been able to roll back each time fortunately.

On the same computer I was able to manually remove (in add/remove programs) all of the Sophos component applications, then do a clean install of Sophos Central client, and it worked - but this latter method is not convenient for a mass deployment, and we really need an in-place upgrade to work.

Can someone offer some advice please?

Thanks

marc

This thread was automatically locked due to age.