This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OSX Sophos Cloud install via command line is getting stuck/hanging

Results are the same with 10.12.6 or 10.13.6

I'm working on deploying Sophos Cloud to my OSX clients.  I am successfully installing Sophos Cloud via the command line, but there is a problem:  The command rarely finishes.  That is, after running the command I get "Starting Sophos Bootstrap Installer.", the Sophos icon appears as it is installed successfully, but I RARELY get positive feedback from the command line. I must CTRL-C to get out of the running command.  Sometimes it finishes correctly but that is rare.

This occurs regularly at the command line.  Due to this hangup, I can not automate the installation effectively.

Can anybody give me some suggestions?  Is my installer broken?

I am using Sophos\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sophos\ Installer --install   Straight from the documentation.

THANKS!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • I recently experience the same issue using jamf:

Jamf was waiting for a return value from the script, but the script was hanging on returning due to the bootstrap process never properly ending. We  added a ‘&’ at the end of the ‘InstallationDeployer --install’ to make it run in a sub-shell without waiting for subsequent commands to complete. The line would now look like this.

sudo ./Sophos\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sophos\ Installer --install &

• I recently experience the same issue using jamf:

Jamf was waiting for a return value from the script, but the script was hanging on returning due to the bootstrap process never properly ending. We  added a ‘&’ at the end of the ‘InstallationDeployer --install’ to make it run in a sub-shell without waiting for subsequent commands to complete. The line would now look like this.

sudo ./Sophos\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sophos\ Installer --install &

Children
  • I'm having this issue using Jamf as well. Sophos cloud does seem to install as it appears in the menu bar and /Applications/ however it is clearly not getting through the whole post install script as the tmp folder is not being removed as per the end of the script, the policy also just continues to run. I've only seen it run to completion on command line/scripted install once.

I will test the addition of the & from Alex's suggestion.

Alex, I understand this will allow the policy to end, however if it is running in a sub shell doesn't it still have the potential to run indefinitely? Additionally, Will you not be able to clean up the install files at the end of the script in case it is still running.

Thanks,

Mike