This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

OSX Sophos Cloud install via command line is getting stuck/hanging

Results are the same with 10.12.6 or 10.13.6

I'm working on deploying Sophos Cloud to my OSX clients.  I am successfully installing Sophos Cloud via the command line, but there is a problem:  The command rarely finishes.  That is, after running the command I get "Starting Sophos Bootstrap Installer.", the Sophos icon appears as it is installed successfully, but I RARELY get positive feedback from the command line. I must CTRL-C to get out of the running command.  Sometimes it finishes correctly but that is rare.

This occurs regularly at the command line.  Due to this hangup, I can not automate the installation effectively.

Can anybody give me some suggestions?  Is my installer broken?

I am using Sophos\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sophos\ Installer --install   Straight from the documentation.

THANKS!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello DanGustafson,

Are you seeing any errors in the install logs? You can find the logs location here

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• No I am not seeing anything useful in the logs.

I have a case open with support right now, I have sent diagnostic information.  The results are just so random.  Sometimes the install takes a couple of minutes, yesterday I had one go for 17 hours and never finish.

I am using several test machines, all have random results on installation time.  I have wiped and reinstalled the OS several times to ensure I am using a clean machine.  I can't deploy on a bulk scale until this installer issue gets sorted.

Any other ideas?

THANKS!

--Dan

• Hi DanGustafson,

Can you please DM me the ticket number so that we can have a look? 

Also, a few thoughts: (I cannot provide more info without details / logs.) 

Does the normal installation produce the same results? (This may help narrow it down to the script being the culprit, or the installation itself). 
        Would you be able to test running the script off-network (using a wifi guest network or a hotspot)to see if there are any differences in time? 
        I know you mentioned that you are using a clean machine,  but just in case: are there any other applications installed in the system (other than the default OS apps) ? 
        One last thing: other than the script hanging, is Sophos deploying correctly? (It may just be that the UI doesn't close, but the app installs fine).

Regards,

Barb@Sophos

• I DM'd the case #

Here are the answers to your questions:

1. Normal installation with the GUI seem to work fine.  The ~250MB download occurs at an expected speed and the app installs within a short amount of time.
    2. I have attempted the install off network (bypassing our content filtering/firewall/etc) the results appear to be the same.
    3. The "clean" machine does have a couple of apps installed, Munki, a WiFi configuration profile, an AD binding configuration profile. I am in the process of testing an install on a TOTALLY clean OS install downloaded from Apple. I will have results soon.
    4. Other than the script hanging, Sophos DOES install correctly.  Even though this might *seem* positive, it is in fact not. The hanging is the real problem.  The app can never be considered *installed* from a management solution if the installer never finishes.  While I am experiencing the problem with a manual command line install, the REAL problem is my command line install with a mass deployment.

THANKS!

--Dan

• Hi DanGustafson,

Let us know if anything changes after testing a clean image, and if possible, try to determine what's different between the computers that fail and the ones that successfully finish. (any additional software/settings involved?)

Do you see any echo in the terminal stating the installation finished? Perhaps this option can help:
    Terminal ---> Preferences ---> Profiles (pick a profile)
    Select the Shell tab
    Look at "When the shell exists" option and see if it is set to close the window on clean exit.
    Re-test.

Regards,

Barb@Sophos

• The completely fresh install of OSX behaved very similar.  I sent a fairly informative screenshot to support in reference to my open case.

On a side note, other Mac admins in other organizations are starting to see this same issue.

• Hi DanGustafson,

Thank you for the update. I will have a look at the ticket to see if there's anything else I can provide.

Regards,

Barb@Sophos

• I recently experience the same issue using jamf:

Jamf was waiting for a return value from the script, but the script was hanging on returning due to the bootstrap process never properly ending. We  added a ‘&’ at the end of the ‘InstallationDeployer --install’ to make it run in a sub-shell without waiting for subsequent commands to complete. The line would now look like this.

sudo ./Sophos\ Installer.app/Contents/MacOS/Sophos\ Installer --install &

• I'm having this issue using Jamf as well. Sophos cloud does seem to install as it appears in the menu bar and /Applications/ however it is clearly not getting through the whole post install script as the tmp folder is not being removed as per the end of the script, the policy also just continues to run. I've only seen it run to completion on command line/scripted install once.

I will test the addition of the & from Alex's suggestion.

Alex, I understand this will allow the policy to end, however if it is running in a sub shell doesn't it still have the potential to run indefinitely? Additionally, Will you not be able to clean up the install files at the end of the script in case it is still running.

Thanks,

Mike