This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

After MS Update - Central - Message Relay Server not running

Dear all,

we have update today our Windows Server with several MS Patches. After restart the Server the Sophos Message Relay Service does not start.

Message on eventvwr:

Die Beschreibung für die Ereignis-ID "3299" aus der Quelle "Apache Service" wurde nicht gefunden. Entweder ist die Komponente, die dieses Ereignis auslöst, nicht auf dem lokalen Computer installiert, oder die Installation ist beschädigt. Sie können die Komponente auf dem lokalen Computer installieren oder reparieren.

Falls das Ereignis auf einem anderen Computer aufgetreten ist, mussten die Anzeigeinformationen mit dem Ereignis gespeichert werden.

Die folgenden Informationen wurden mit dem Ereignis gespeichert:

The Apache service named
reported the following error:
>>>
(20024)The given path is misformatted or contained invalid characters: AH00532: Invalid config file path C:\\ProgramData\\Sophos\\MessageRelay\\Config\\running_httpd.conf

The Path is correct and the file looks ok for me.

I don't now if the \\ are OK but if now how can I change it.

Can anybody help us?

Thanks and best regards R.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hello,

What does the status of the server show in Sophos Central on the Update Cache/Message Relay page? It sounds like permissions to the httpd.conf file are not correct.

Regards,

Stephen

• Salue Stephen,

Status on Central:

Active: 2 Hours ago

Cache Stat: activ

last Cache: 4 hours ago

Message Relay: Error

The permission for all files located in Config dir are Read for User SophosMessageRelayService.

Thanks for helping!!

Merci Remo

Update: I'm wondering the Group SophosMessageRelayService does not exist as local or Domain Group, it that right?

• Hi Remo,

SophosMessageRelayService is a local account – however it is a service account (full name NT SERVICE\SophosMessageRelayService) and will behave similar to built-in accounts like NT AUTHORITY\NETWORK SERVICE

Is the service running on the machine? Can you restart the service successfully?

Regards,

Stephen

• Salue Stephen,

ok I have now uninstall alle Sophos Endpints and Services.

Clean all Registry entrys.

Install new Endpoint protection.

Install update chache

Do a Snapshot of the VM

Install the MR and have the same problem before.

Now the Service can't install and indeed you are right that is somthing with the Rights:

Product: Sophos Message Relay -- Error 1920. Service 'Sophos Message Relay Service' (SophosMessageRelayService) failed to start.  Verify that you have sufficient privileges to start system services.

But what can I do?

I have open a ticket last Thursday but no answer yet.

The Service on Central tells me for MR installation.

So what is the problem?

best regrads

R.

• Hi Remo,

This is strange, please can you create a support ticket so that we can fully investigate this? Please send me a message with the support ticket # when you have it.

Regards,

Stephen

Reply Children
  • Dear all,
    we had fixed that problem by doing the following steps:

Uninstall MR and CS from Central Website

Uninstall Sophos Endpoint

Delete all Sophos and HitmanPro Directorys and Files located in PrgamData and all other Directorys

open command prompt as Admin and run the following program "icacls c:\ProgramData /reset /t"

That command set all permissions to default Values!

Reboot Server

Install Endpoint and restart Server

Inntall CacheServer and Relay Server.

The Problem occured because the rights for ProgramData Directory was completly wrong.

Hope this one helps other peoples to solve problems like this

wrbrgds

TBC