This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

RED 10 connected to Linux router doesn't work

Hi,

this is the first time I have to work with a RED box but I'm pretty much convinced I did the configuration suitable in my UTM. When I connect the box to a DSL router directly, it works fine, but going to the desired network, it fails.

I have to put a RED 10 device in a small network (pure IPv4 no IPv6), controlled by a Linux server doing DHCP, NTP, DNS and IP forwarding to a DSL router (masqueraded at the WAN device, of course).
The network works fine since a couple of month for PC's (Linux and Windows), but the RED device is not happy there.
What I see is a green WAN LED at first blinking then light up constantly. After some 10 seconds the SYSTEM LED lights up constantly and the ROUTER LED starts blinking. This blinking lasts around a minute and then SYSTEM blinks red for some seconds together with the green blinking ROUTER LED. Finally the RED box seems to reboot and the process starts again from the beginning.

Looking on the Linux server, I can't find any logs about packets of the RED box send to the server and even there is nothing noted about any DHCP request of the RED device.

During all the time, other PC's in the network work smoothly, inside the LAN as well as using the internet via IP forwarding (all TCP & UDP ports allowed) of the LINUX server.

This trouble now lasts three days, where I even build a new Linux server to exchange the existing one to be sure it works well. Unfortunately no effect for the RED box.

Does anyone have an idea what I can check further? Is there maybe something special needed in the WAN network for the RED 10 box? What does the box need to start a DHCP request? Is IPv6 needed maybe?

Cheers,

Christian

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • SOLVED! :-)

A pretty old 3Com hub TP800 (right, a hub, not a switch) was the network center. This night I had the feeling it might have something to do with this old machine (it works perfect for all other tasks since some 20 years), but I can't tell you why. A "weak feeling" tells me possible influences on the communication speed/mode (FE Full/Half Duplex), even if the connection LEDs are lighted correctly
    So I took a also quite old low-end switch  Synergy 21 (I found it in the cellar of the client), and it worked immediately.

I can't tell you what is the reason for this behaviour, but finally it works for me. :-)

Maybe someone else will find this and saves some days of disgusting depression. ;-)

Best regards,

Christian