This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Clean.exe is not working

Hello Sophos,

I have noticed that from last week or so when trying to execute the Sophos clean.exe from the Program Files (x86), Sophos, Clean folder it does nothing. Can you please assist with this issue?  I have tried to find a fix and have not found any articles to fix the issue.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Aisha Smith,

Can you check and let us know the status of Sophos clean service?

Open the Run window (Win+R)> services.msc and check for the service named "Sophos Clean"

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi Aisha, 

According to my open ticket with Sophos since the update of Intercept X to 2.0:

"You will not be able to run Sophos Clean manually on the Desktops by only having Intercept X. Sophos Clean is only called/used by Intercept X when there is a detection.

Sophos Clean runs automatically as one of its component when a detection is occurred to cleanup and re-mediate. Sophos Clean requires a separate license and needs to be installed if

you would like to run it as a standalone tool."

I think this is just wrong, as we have been using this service manually since we migrated from on-prem to Sophos Central. I do not recall seeing a notice that this feature will no longer be available manually once you are upgraded to version 2.0 of Intercept X. 

Speaking with my Account managers to get more details on this as we speak. 

Frankie..

• I've just noticed this as well.  I have technicians wanting to run other free software cleaning tools.  Doesn't seem logical.  Of course those free tools are categorized as PUA lol.  Now they want me to go unblock those so they can run a real malware cleaner. Seems like sophos should allow this to run for free for folks who have bought intercept x

• Hi ClintWeldon,

Potentially unwanted applications (PUAs) are programs that are not malicious, but which are generally considered unsuitable for most business networks as well as other environments. Examples include, but are not limited to, dialers, remote administration tools, bundleware, downloaders and hacking tools.

When classifying applications, Sophos also takes into consideration a set of objective criteria which has been agreed upon by leading security vendors regarding monetizing software to determine if an application is potentially unwanted. The following KBA's will provide more details on PUA.\

Generic Reputation PUA detections explained

How to investigate and resolve a potential False Positive / Incorrect Detection

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.