Sandboxie 5.30.0 and 5.31 test versions Close IE11 auto refresh page is invalid

1 - Sandboxie 5.30,Sandboxie 5.31.1 Sandboxie 5.31.2 Windows 10 x64 bit 1809 Windows 10 x32 bit 1809 Windows 10 x32 bit 1903 Windows 10 x64 bit 1903
2 - internet explorer 11
3 - Microsoft Windows Defender ON
4 - sandbox with default settings
5 - Internet Explorer 11 Turns off automatic refreshing of web pages : Internet Explorer - internet options - General - browsing settings - "Tmporary Internet Files" option Select "Never". However, if you use “sandboxie” to browse the webpage and press the “Back” button, the webpage will still be refreshed automatically. Without using "sandboxie", browsing the web does not have this problem.

Parents
  • Hi li wang,

I cannot repro this. 

- What is the cache folder that it is pointing to, and what are you seeing in it? 
    - What are the exact repro steps to see the behavior? (include the URLs your are seeing and where do you see the cache, as well as the difference between the Sandboxed behavior and your host's)
    - What settings are currently enabled for Internet Explorer in your Sandbox? 

Please, post your Sbie configuration 
    Configure--> Edit configuration

Copy paste the contents along with the answers to the above questions.

Thanks!

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• This reply was deleted.
  • Hi li wang, 

Thanks for the explanation, please provide the rest of the info so that I can set up the same scenario and test :

- What is the cache folder that it is pointing to, and what are you seeing in it? 

- What settings are currently enabled for Internet Explorer in your Sandbox? 

Please, post your Sbie configuration 
    Configure--> Edit configuration

Thanks,

Barb@Sophos

•  

Give you a page without any changes [that is, no new and old changes]:

www.java.com/.../develop.xml

After opening, click any link under "Help Resources", open it completely, then click IE "Back" button, the progress bar moves for 5 seconds, that is to say, download the page again, then click the "Forward" button, so click repeatedly. It's easy to find a re-download. I use firewall traffic statistics to prove this problem.

Below is my repeated clicks 5 times "forward" and "back" IE11 traffic statistics

• Hi li wang,

Thanks for the info. I still need this:

Are you still using Comodo?
    If not, go to Configure --> Software Compatibility and un-check this:
    ComodoInternetSecurity

If you are using Comodo, then try disabling it, rebooting and re-testing.

I don't understand what you are reporting for the java site. I followed your steps and noticed no issues.
    Is the "Never" setting in place for this test? And do you have the same setup on your host?

Thanks!

Barb@Sophos

• Hi li wang,

Thanks for the info. I still need this:

Are you still using Comodo?
    If not, go to Configure --> Software Compatibility and un-check this:
    ComodoInternetSecurity

If you are using Comodo, then try disabling it, rebooting and re-testing.

I don't understand what you are reporting for the java site. I followed your steps and noticed no issues.
    Is the "Never" setting in place for this test? And do you have the same setup on your host?

Thanks!

Barb@Sophos

Children
  • Disabling Comodo has no effect. I chose java.com as the specific webpage to test. The reason is: I want to test without checking the update. This page just doesn't update, you can see the problem more clearly. Fire flow statistics are already very clear.

• Hi li wang,

I still don't see the issue, can you please provide more details?:

So, for example, compare the host folder with the Sandboxed folder to have a baseline.
    Then, repro the issue as you see it, and show me what files are being downloaded (or not downloaded?) 

- What settings are currently enabled for Internet Explorer in your Sandbox? Are you using the "Never" option in all scenarios? 

Thanks!

Barb@Sophos

• In order to explain the problem more clearly, I sorted out the test steps.

1. As shown in the figure, the left browser does not use sandboxie, the right browser uses sandboxie, and the corresponding temporary file is below it. First delete all temporary files in both modes, the two mode browser settings are the same, namely "Tmporary Internet Files" option Select "Never"

2. Open all test pages: www.java.com/.../develop.xml
    Click on the upper right link of this page, such as: "installing Java". After this page is opened, the IE11 browser "back" button can be used, and then press the "back" button, the page returns to the previous page. At this time, the "forward" big button above the IE11 browser can be used, and then click this button, so that the test is repeated 5 times.

3. No sandbox "Temporary Internet Files" path is: C:\Temporary Internet Files\IE\NBZ5F1AN

There is a sandbox "Temporary Internet Files" path is: C:\Sandbox\win\DefaultBox\drive\C\Temporary Internet Files\IE\X4CODDFA

The "Temporary Internet Files" path is modified according to the actual location of your computer, "X4CODDFA" This file name is random, open C:\Sandbox\win\DefaultBox\drive\C\Temporary

You can see the name of this random folder after Internet Files\IE\

Special Note: This folder is hidden and requires file manager viewing to remove file hiding!

4 Open this folder, there is a large number of “Sandbox” Temporary Internet Files repeatedly generated. Each time you press “Forward” or “Back” button, all the elements in the webpage will be downloaded again! No. Temporary Internet Files is very clean and no extra files are generated!

• Hi li wang, 

Thanks for the clarification. I simply set the Temp folder to my desktop, which immediately prompted autorecovery to show me the files. 
    This is probably related to the other issue you reported, but I will inform the devs and let you know if they provide any guidance about this. 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos