Mozilla Firefox dont start properly (no windows) while sandboxed

Hello everyone,

since a few weeks now i have a strange problem and nothing worked that ive tried.

Im using Windows 10 64-Bit (1903 since today; but problem also was here with 1809), Mozilla Firefox 67.0.1 64-Bit (but problemw as also there with earlier versions) and Sandboxie 5.30.

Problem stil exists even with disabled Add-ons and after deinstallation/reinstallation of FF.

I start FF either from Sandboxie (Start Web browser) or directly (setting is "start always in Sandbox). I can see in task manager that there are several FF processes; but i dont see the FF GUI. Outside of Sandboxie FF starts without a problem.

Sometimes, when i have started FF outside Sandboxie suddenly something will be opened in FF sandboxed (maybe i clicked a link in a different application).

Any ideas?

Greetings

Thomas

Parents
  • Hi Thomas,

Start by deleting the contents of your Sandbox, and then if needed, testing in a new Sandbox with default settings.  

If the problems persist, please, provide all the info as per guidelines so that we can test and assist you:
    How to report problems with Sandboxie

Adding to the above listed, also include your configuration file:
    Configure--> Edit configuration
    Copy-paste the contents here.

Thanks!

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi,

new Sandbox didnt help.

Here are my details:

Windows 10 Pro 1903 (problem exists also prior update)

Mozilla Firefox 67.0.2 64-Bit with the following extensions:

- uMatrix

- Turn off the lights

- HTTPS Everywhere

- Decentraleyes

GDATA 25.5.3.4 (Web Protection is disabled)

Starting FF outside Sandboxie works; inside Sandboxie it starts, but no GUI visible

Grretings

Thomas

PS: here is the content of Sandboxie.ini:

[GlobalSettings]

Template=AdobeAcrobatReader
    Template=7zipShellEx
    Template=WindowsRasMan
    Template=SynapticsTouchPad
    Template=WindowsLive
    Template=GDataInternetSecurity
    Template=SnagIt
    Template=nVidia_Stereoscopic3D
    Template=OfficeLicensing
    Template=OfficeClickToRun
    ForceDisableSeconds=30

[UserSettings_11FC028D]

SbieCtrl_UserName=thomas
    SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1560612404
    SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
    SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
    SbieCtrl_HideWindowNotify=n
    SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=250,324,974,556
    SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021
    SbieCtrl_ProcessViewColumnWidths=250,70,300
    SbieCtrl_AutoApplySettings=n
    SbieCtrl_AlwaysOnTop=n
    SbieCtrl_ExplorerWarn=n
    SbieCtrl_RecoverTarget=C:\Users\Thomas\Downloads
    SbieCtrl_SaveRecoverTargets=y
    SbieCtrl_TerminateWarn=n
    SbieCtrl_BoxExpandedView=Firefox

[UserSettings_29F403ED]

SbieCtrl_UserName=adm.thomas
    SbieCtrl_ShowWelcome=n
    SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck=1558266750
    SbieCtrl_UpdateCheckNotify=n
    SbieCtrl_WindowCoords=7,0,1279,680
    SbieCtrl_ActiveView=40021

[Firefox]

Enabled=y
    ConfigLevel=7
    AutoRecover=y
    BlockNetworkFiles=y
    Template=qWave
    Template=WindowsFontCache
    Template=BlockPorts
    Template=LingerPrograms
    Template=Chrome_Phishing_DirectAccess
    Template=Firefox_Phishing_DirectAccess
    Template=AutoRecoverIgnore
    RecoverFolder=%{374DE290-123F-4565-9164-39C4925E467B}%
    RecoverFolder=%Personal%
    RecoverFolder=%Favorites%
    RecoverFolder=%Desktop%
    BorderColor=#00FFFF,ttl

• Hi Thomas,

Do other browsers start Sandboxed?
    Does the issue happen for both your user account and your admin one?(You have 2 users listed in the output)

A few things to try:

1 - Remove all the FF extensions (probably easier if you create a new Firefox profile under the current user) -> delete the contents of your Sandbox --> retest

2 - If the above fails, with the new profile and an empty Sandbox do the following:
    Configure --> Software compatibility --> Find your GDATA template, remove it. Re-test [Try the same with the nVidia template if needed ]

3 - If all fails, try removing your AV for testing purposes, reboot , delete the contents of your Sandbox and re-test (once confirmed whether Firefox works or not, please re-install your AV software - If it works without your AV, you'll need to find out exclusions for Sandboxie, here are some examples based on other antivirus software, exclude Start.exe""License.exe""SandboxieBITS.exe""SandboxieCrypto.exe""SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe""SandboxieRpcSs.exe""SandboxieWUAU.exe""SbieCtrl.exe""SbieIni.exe""SbieSvc.exe").

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Barb@Sophos said:

Hello,

> Do other browsers start Sandboxed?

Yes. IE11, Chrome and Edge.

> Does the issue happen for both your user account and your admin one?(You have 2 users listed in the output)

Thats something i have to check.

> A few things to try:

> 1 - Remove all the FF extensions (probably easier if you create a new Firefox profile under the current user) -> delete the contents of your Sandbox --> retest

Didnt solve it.

> 2 - If the above fails, with the new profile and an empty Sandbox do the following:
    > Configure --> Software compatibility --> Find your GDATA template, remove it. Re-test [Try the same with the nVidia template if needed ]

Didnt help either.

> 3 - If all fails, try removing your AV for testing purposes, reboot , delete the contents of your Sandbox and re-test (once confirmed whether Firefox works or not, please re-install your AV

> software - If it works without your AV, you'll need to find out exclusions for Sandboxie, here are some examples based on other antivirus software, exclude

> Start.exe""License.exe""SandboxieBITS.exe""SandboxieCrypto.exe""SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe""SandboxieRpcSs.exe""SandboxieWUAU.exe""SbieCtrl.exe""SbieIni.exe""SbieSvc.exe").

Havent tried deinstallation; but exclusions didnt help.

Greetings

Thomas

• Barb@Sophos said:

Hello,

> Do other browsers start Sandboxed?

Yes. IE11, Chrome and Edge.

> Does the issue happen for both your user account and your admin one?(You have 2 users listed in the output)

Thats something i have to check.

> A few things to try:

> 1 - Remove all the FF extensions (probably easier if you create a new Firefox profile under the current user) -> delete the contents of your Sandbox --> retest

Didnt solve it.

> 2 - If the above fails, with the new profile and an empty Sandbox do the following:
    > Configure --> Software compatibility --> Find your GDATA template, remove it. Re-test [Try the same with the nVidia template if needed ]

Didnt help either.

> 3 - If all fails, try removing your AV for testing purposes, reboot , delete the contents of your Sandbox and re-test (once confirmed whether Firefox works or not, please re-install your AV

> software - If it works without your AV, you'll need to find out exclusions for Sandboxie, here are some examples based on other antivirus software, exclude

> Start.exe""License.exe""SandboxieBITS.exe""SandboxieCrypto.exe""SandboxieDcomLaunch.exe""SandboxieRpcSs.exe""SandboxieWUAU.exe""SbieCtrl.exe""SbieIni.exe""SbieSvc.exe").

Havent tried deinstallation; but exclusions didnt help.

Greetings

Thomas

Children