firefox problems

1- Sandboxie 5.30 or beta 5.31 , Windows 10 x64 bit 1903
2 - firefox 66.0.5 works abnormal, some www links cant be open and i got an error.   on 1809 windows no any problems.
3 - eset nod 12
4 - for example, i can open www.sandboxie.com, but when i open forums tab - then i have an error (Server not found, or link cant be opened)
5 - Does it occur in a new sandbox with default settings?  yes
6 - Server not found, or link cant be opened.

Parents
  • Hi v k,

The forums have been down for a while, that's why we are using the temp one. 
    More info here:
    What happened to the Sandboxie site and forums

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• i provided this like an example. problems occurs also with browsing in another sites. with 1809 windows all works flawless, but on 1903 firefox works with errors. Some links opens, but another give mistakes.

• Hi v k,

I understand the issue, but I cannot reproduce it. 

What is the search addon that you have there? 

Thanks!

Barb@Sophos

• Yandex search addon for default, but i think it's doesnt all matter, because on 1809 windows all work without any problem. What is interesting that problem appears spontaneously. Sometimes firefox sandboxed open any adress or link, in another time it doesnt work. i tried firefox 66.0.5 and 67, but still get the same result. I made clean installation of win 1903 RUS 64 on both devices and got the same issues. Which information i can provide to solve this problem? does the  sandboxie have the debugger mode to see what going wrong?

• Hi v k,

If Sandboxie was blocking access to certain URLs (which it can't to begin with as it is not a firewall) , you would never be able to access them. Sporadic problems could mean an issue with your setup or your network.

I am leaving this thread open in case anybody else is seeing a similar issue. In the meantime, I'd suggest removing any addons and search engines, creating a new sandbox with default settings and re-testing after that. 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos

• Hi, Barb! I tried again to do the clean installation on both my devices(Pc and notebook) and got the same rusult.
    1) with 1809 on both devices firefox works in sandboxie correctly, without any problems. I tried 5.28 5.30 5.31.1 and in all this variants i dont have any problems or something else.
    2) On clean installation 1903 without using the sandboxie, all browser like a Opera, Ie11, Firefox works flawlessly. So it is not hardware issue,  if consider i checked my both devices with diffrent hardware.
    3) Ie11 sandboxed also works without problems, all link are opening and  not any errors with network pages. So i make a conclusion that no any network problems with my hardware.
    4) Firefox unsandboxed work correctly - all link or web pages opening without any errors. So i think it is not a problem of my hardware or my Windows.
    5) Firefox sandboxed working with errors, some links are not opening or opening with visual errors or opens  from first attempt,
    somethimes.
    P/s  i dont know for which reason you can not reproduce this problem, maybe this is problem of russian redaction of windows 1903,  but it present and i asks for developers help. Maybe they will find decision.

• In continuation of the described problem, the problem turned out to be a little deeper than it seemed. Using the Internet connection directly (via cable) bypassing the router - gives trouble-free sandbox operation. Also, connecting through a router of another manufacturer does not lead to the problems described above. That is, something in the router does not allow browsers to work through the sandbox and it is on Windows 1903. For the first time I come across this.

• Hi v k,

Glad to hear you are making progress.
    Perhaps your router has some sort of firewall blocking traffic? You might want to reach out to the manufacturer to find more info. 
    Keep us posted!

Regards

Barb@Sophos

• You are not alone with issues which Barb cannot reproduce when running in a VM. I have had issues for a very long time with newer Sandboxie builds which means I cannot upgrade to anything above 5.22 without loosing important functionality ie my password manager does not work with newer builds than 5.22. There are other issues which I am surprised that no one else has brought up because they raise important security issues which I have had to come up with work arounds.

Also: this forum software sucks. After registering with Sophos Sandboxie with the same email address and Sophos does not show Sandboxie as one of my Appz

• Hi Red Dwarf,

This thread is about a very specific network issue in combination with specific hardware v k is using. Thus, we cannot reproduce it, as it is most likely not Sandboxie related, but network/router related.

Having said that, please feel free to start any new threads following these guidelines and I will be happy to help you:
    How to report problems with Sandboxie

Regarding your last comment, keep in mind we (Sandboxie) are in these forums temporarily, as our main ones are still being worked on. Sandboxie is not integrated with Sophos apps, it is a standalone application. 

Looking forward to your posts!

Regards,

Barb@Sophos

• Hi Barb,

Yes I do realise that vk had worked out where the problem lay and had sort of fixed it but I wanted to make the point that it is not always possible to run VM's and get the same results as users.

I will leave the issue which I have until the Sandboxie forum is working again but I will start a thread which I think needs to be raised because it does impact all versions of Sandboxie and it is a potential major security issue.

• Hi Red Dwarf,

Thank you for your feedback.

We test on hosts for Win 10, which is the main OS at this time. Everything else is tested on VMs (which we know is not the same as a host, but considering we support Win 7, 8.1 and 10, both x64 and 86, it would not be convenient  to set up that many computers -and maintain them- when VMs give us the same results 99% of the times).

Having said that, we always request  the required info so that we can set up the closest possible scenario in order to test issues and help our customers. (Despite the fact that support is not guaranteed, as per this page: https://www.sandboxie.com/RegisterSandboxie)  

I'll continue assisting you in your new threads (once created). 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos

• Hi Red Dwarf,

Thank you for your feedback.

We test on hosts for Win 10, which is the main OS at this time. Everything else is tested on VMs (which we know is not the same as a host, but considering we support Win 7, 8.1 and 10, both x64 and 86, it would not be convenient  to set up that many computers -and maintain them- when VMs give us the same results 99% of the times).

Having said that, we always request  the required info so that we can set up the closest possible scenario in order to test issues and help our customers. (Despite the fact that support is not guaranteed, as per this page: https://www.sandboxie.com/RegisterSandboxie)  

I'll continue assisting you in your new threads (once created). 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos

Children
  •  I decided  to do not any attempt any more, and stayed on windows 1809. On this configuration i dont have any problem with sandboxie. Also support of tp-link router doesnt know what is going wrong((( I think this is very specifically problem between network hardware, sandboxie and windows 1903. Maybe microsoft changed some network setting, or changed some rules for virtualization or something else. I will try to check new updates of microsoft 1903 and sandboxie via Virtualbox. And will write here if i will find the solution. But i ask for providing my problem to sandboxie developers, maybe they will understand what is maybe wrong. Waiting for new releases))
    Ps/ sorry for my  level of english) I hope i was writing a little bit better then speach engines)))

• Hi v k,

The devs are aware, but as covered before we cannot replicate the scenario. 

Please, let us know if you find any new info.  The thread will remain open in case anybody else experiences the same situation so we can gather more examples.

Thanks!

Barb@Sophos

• Hello, Barb! i found the solution, but it is a little bit strange issue. The problem was in DNS work between my Router and Sandboxie. I receive some dns address from my isp and then i run my pc it get they without any problems. for example to understaiding - my router is geting 77.77.77.77(as example) and dns 222.222.222.222, after that DHCP of my router make the lAN  for clients with subnet 192.168.0.100-199, with gateway 192.168.0.1 and the router DNS 192.168.0.1. So my PC geting ip 192.168.0.101 with mask 255.255.255.0 and DNS 192.168.0.1.  In this case browsers works right and i have internet on both my Windows 1809 and 1903. If i use sandboxie on 1809, browser also get internet, but on 1903 brosers sandboxed for some reason doesnt want to work with automatic dns (192.168.0.1). But solution found if i wrote to network adapter DNS adress from my ISP(not 192.168.0.1 from router, but 222.222.222.222 from ISP).  In this case sandboxie work correctly. I dont know what is going wrong but i think sandboxie for some reason on new windows 1903 doesnt work correctly with the windows dns services. Maybe sandboxie on 1903 blocks windows (Remote Procedure Call) and then i got event 1014 - Name resolution for the name *** out after none of the configured DNS servers responded.  

• Hi V k, 

I passed the info to the devs. I'll let you know if I receive any updates about this.

Thank you, and glad to hear you solved the issue. 

Barb@Sophos