[Sandboxie Status Update] What happened to the Sandboxie site and forums? [Last updated May 22nd]

Hi all,

This is Barb@Invincea (Barb@Sophos in this community).

First, we'd like to explain a bit of what happened with Sandboxie.com and the forums (forums.sandboxie.com -currently offline):

We started experiencing issues with our servers due to a bug that is causing slowness accessing the Sandboxie site, as well as the licensing/activation options.
Added to that, we found a security weakness in the software being used for the forums, and out of an abundance of caution, they were taken down for the time being. 

In order to keep communication going, we have created this temporary forum within our Sophos Community.

Second, here's the current status of things:

• A new Sandboxie build has been created to help us address part of the issues, but due to the current server status, it cannot be automatically pushed to users.  To manually download it please see below:
           Click here to download Sandboxie 5.30
           Latest Beta versions are listed here

• As of now, we will only support issues related to Sandboxie 5.30 (XP users see below).
  • XP Users need to perform the following steps to avoid their computers to constantly use your network to access sandboxie.com :

• Click Help --> Check for Updates
    Choose "Next week"
    Do not choose "Never" (or your computer will not stop contacting the Sandboxie site, using your network resources). 

• For the time being, buying options are not available (to prevent additional issues with our licensing server).
  • Licenses and activations are working now.  For activation issues please follow this thread: Activation failed - Please provide feedback
    For Offline activations: the page is not properly redirecting, please use these links instead:
    Offline activation
    Offline activation steps
  • Dev teams are actively working on investigating the issues and finding fixes for them. 

We would like to thank everybody for their patience and understanding. 
Please, feel free to start a new thread in this forum as needed (Sandboxie v5.30 only).

Regards,
Barb.-

• In reply to Barb@Sophos:

Hi,

I've just got the update loop bug and found my way here.
    The SandboxieInstall.exe file found on https://www.sandboxie.com/DownloadSandboxie is for version 5.28 (I've checked the hash and even reinstalled it to confirm it is version 5.28).
    There is no installer for version 5.30 on the Sandboxie website. There is no mention of version 5.30 on the list changes page and on the md5/sha1 page.

My first thought was that the website has been hacked because the announcement on the main page https://www.sandboxie.com/ contains spelling mistakes (suppport, which the last version that supports XP).

• In reply to Johnny B1:

Hey Johnny B1 ,

Our dev team is currently making changes to the site. Please use the alternative links:
         [Click here for alternative links]

We'll correct the spelling mistake. The site is not hacked, it was down due to issues as explained in the first post. Thanks for bringing this up!

Regards,

Thanks for the quick answer. Just one more question. Before I found out about version 5.30 I've blocked SbieCtrl.exe from connecting to the internet using my firewall to stop the update loop. It's OK if I keep using version 5.28 until you fix the website to avoid possible problems with the licensing server if I install v5.30?

• In reply to Johnny B1:

Hi Johnny B1 ,

We are requesting all of our customers to upgrade to  Sandboxie 5.30 as soon as possible. 

We are not going to provide support to versions older than that one.  

Thanks!

How about an update? Why it's taking so long to fix and when things will be back to normal.

• In reply to henry g:

Hi henry g,

We will post updates as soon as they become available. 

Thank you for your patience!

Regards,

Have installed 5.30 and license reactivated. Sandboxie forum now seems to redirect here. So better!

Sorry, but dislike this forum software by comparison to the old and others I use elsewhere.

• Hi!
    I need to re-activate Sandboxie 5.22 on a Win XP system. Using the license manager, I only get an error message since several days. (So much for " wait 1 hour and re-try". ;) )
    Using the offline activation (www.sandboxie.com/OfflineActivation) only ends in a missing page (404 not found www.sandboxie.com/.../activate-offline).
    Upgrading to 5.30 is not possible for obvious reasons. ;) - In this regard: If I don't re-activate the old version, may I use my license on another PC with the latest Sandboxie version?
    Thank you!

• In reply to Konrad Koan:

Hi Konrad Koan ,

Licensing questions are addressed via support@sandboxie.com

Having said that, depending on your license type, you may be able to activate multiple computers (old lifetime licenses), or one computer that you own (if this is the case, you can safely enable it on the other computer, since the Win XP one is not activated). 
    Here's more information:

https://www.sandboxie.com/FAQ_Licensing

Q. Do I need to license (pay for) Sandboxie multiple times, to use it on more than one computer at home?

A. Yes. You can use a single product key (which corresponds to a single license) of Sandboxie on one computer at a time. A VM or dual boot machine would need a license for the VM and the host machine (thus 2 licenses) This does not apply to non-personal use (including commercial, educational, governmental, and not-for-profit use).

Thanks!

• All,

I am locking this thread for the time being, as we are receiving several questions that are unrelated to status updates.
    I will be posting any news here as soon as they become available. 

To report new problems, please start a new thread following these guidelines:  [Please, do not post questions about status updates as those will be covered here, as they become available]

How to report problems with Sandboxie 

Licensing questions: support@sandboxie.com 

Thank you!

New beta versions can be found below:

Sandboxie Beta versions