Firefox v71 and PDF Readers

I am using a Windows 7 Pro  32 bit PC with Sandboxie 5.30 installed.

Before the recent Firefox update I had Firefox set up to read PDF documents.

With the new update to FF v71 when I run FF Sandboxed and I click on a PDF file a window pops up asking me to select the program that I want to open the PDF file in.

The radio button to make the program the deafault is always ticked but every time I go to view the file the same window pops up.

This does not happen when I run Firefox Un-sandboxed.

Is there anything that I can do to remedy this situation?

Has anbody else experienced this?

PS. I also have a Laptop running Windows 7 Home 32 bit, the same thing happens there.

Parents
  • I don't have your setup, but have you checked the Applications setting under about:preferences which sets how pdf files are treated? Otherwise, try using the internal pdf viewer - pdf file can be downloaded from it.

• In Options (preferences) I have FF set up to use a PDF reader, the default PDF Reader/Editor.

Changing to FF's viewer makes things worse, in or out of the Sandbox the screen flashes, nothing happens.

I can set it to "Save file" but I want to be able to delete pages before saving. Prefer not to.

This is under "Applications" in FF.

The window that pops up that I referred is the Windows7 "Open With" window.

• Same thing is happening with other apps.

System: Windows 10 1809 x64

Sandboxie: 5.31.4 & 5.31.6

Before updating Firefox to v71, the open-with pop-up in Firefox functioned properly (e.g., opening a rar\zip archive with winrar\7zip). At the time I was with Sandboxie 5.31.4.

After updating Firefox to v71, the open-with pop-up in Firefox no longer behaves as expected. This is, the save-as works OK, the the open-with no longer opens the desired app. Updated to Sandboxie 5.31.6, but the problem remains.

Running Firefox outside the sandbox works as expected without problems.

More details about the problem: Inside the sandbox, when choosing open-with, the associated app\program doesn't run, but Firefox shows the file as downloaded OK in the download tab (remember that I didn't choose to save the file, just to open it with some app).

In the about:downloads, the zip\rar\etc... file show as downloaded. Normally, if I double clicked on it, the associated app would open. Nothing happens when Firefox v71 is sandboxed.

However, If I right-click on it and choose "Open Containing Folder", sandboxie opens a Windows Explorer Window (sandboxed) in "<windows-drive>:\Users\<user-name>\AppData\Local\Temp" where resides the file I wanted to open through Firefox.

It seems that with the newer version of Firefox, whenever I run it sandboxed and choose to open some file instead of saving it, Firefox still manages to download the file to a temp folder, but is no longer able to open the associated app\program to show it.

• I can also confirm this problem with Firefox 71.0 and Sandboxie 5.31.6.

Reply Children
No Data