Roboform Password Manager works intermittently with Sandboxie

I'm using:
Sandboxie 5.31.2 Beta
Win 10, version 1903 (Build 18362.295)
Roboform 7.9.31.1

I have Roboform password manager, which will start Chrome & logon to various sites by filling out the username & passwords & "clicking" the login button. It has an icon in the system tray & also a toolbar attached to Chrome. Chrome is one of my forced programs in Sandboxie. When I don't use Sandboxie (or when I disable forced programs), the Roboform tray icon works fine. However, I get inconsistent results when using Sandboxie.

1. If I disable forced programs, then:
A. Using Roboform tray icon will start Chrome & login to a site.
B. Once Chrome is running outside the sandbox, I can login to another site in a new tab by using either the Roboform toolbar OR its tray icon.

2. If I use the Roboform system tray icon to start Chrome & login to a site, it works fine the first time. But once Chrome is running inside a sandbox, I can only use Roboform from the toolbar. If I try using Roboform from the system tray, nothing happens. (By the way, I have no problem when I use my Windows XP machine...only the Win 10 machine.

Additional: I just tried using the tray icon to login after Chrome was running inside a sandbox & it worked. So the problem seems to be intermittent. i.e. it has happened before where it would work for awhile & then stop working.

Any suggestions, please?

Parents
  • Hi Phil,

Roboform is not a supported application , however, here are some ideas:

- If you haven't already, please test using a new Sandbox with default settings
    - If the Roboform template is enabled, disable it/or vice-versa, then re-test. (Typically under Configure --> Software compatibility. But it can also be added to a specific Sandbox via right-click --> Sandbox settings --> Applications--> Security/Privacy --> Roboform). 
    - Test launching Roboform directly in the Sandbox, and see if that allows it to communicate with the Sandboxed browser.

I am leaving this thread open so other community members can provide additional ideas as needed.

To keep in mind, Sandboxie will either work with the program, or it won't. See if you can determine at which point it stops working / what actions are you following when it happens, as it may give you additional ideas to go on. 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi Barb:

The problem still persists.  I sent a support ticket to Roboform, but their reply was: "We apologize, but RoboForm is not designed to work in any sandboxed environments.
    So you should apply to the developer of Sandboxie to find out what changed etc."

Nevertheless, it used to work all the time & still works in Windows XP, using Sandboxie 5.06 (32-bit).  And even though the Sandboxie icon in the notification tray hasn't worked for months when Chrome is Sandboxed, it just started working properly just now.  That is, while I was typing this question, I was able to open 2 new tabs in Chrome using the Roboform icon in the notification area.  (It's like taking your problem car to a mechanic, but it works once it's there.<g>).

Have there been any changes that Sandboxie has made that would affect Roboform?

Thanks again,

Phil

Sandboxie 5.33.1 (64-bit)
    Windows 10 (64-bit), version 1909, Build 1836.535Windows Defender Antivirus (not sure of version)
    Thunderbird 68.6.0 (32-bit)

• Hi Barb:

The problem still persists.  I sent a support ticket to Roboform, but their reply was: "We apologize, but RoboForm is not designed to work in any sandboxed environments.
    So you should apply to the developer of Sandboxie to find out what changed etc."

Nevertheless, it used to work all the time & still works in Windows XP, using Sandboxie 5.06 (32-bit).  And even though the Sandboxie icon in the notification tray hasn't worked for months when Chrome is Sandboxed, it just started working properly just now.  That is, while I was typing this question, I was able to open 2 new tabs in Chrome using the Roboform icon in the notification area.  (It's like taking your problem car to a mechanic, but it works once it's there.<g>).

Have there been any changes that Sandboxie has made that would affect Roboform?

Thanks again,

Phil

Sandboxie 5.33.1 (64-bit)
    Windows 10 (64-bit), version 1909, Build 1836.535Windows Defender Antivirus (not sure of version)
    Thunderbird 68.6.0 (32-bit)

Children
No Data