Skype does not work with Sandboxed Chrome

My Skype version is the latest at 8.51.0.92

My PC is a desktop using Windows 10 version 1903 and Chrome is my

default browser version 76.0.3809.132 64 bit.

Both these versions are recent updates in the past few days. Before that

all was perfect.

Now, with a Sandboxed Chrome I cannot logon to Skype and therefore cannot

bring Skype up on my Outlook.com email via the Skype icon.

With an unsandboxed Chrome, there is no problem - it all works perfect.

Please advise how to cure this problem.

Thank you.

Edit - late note 31/08

No problems existed with Windows 1809.

URGENT !! Cannot sign in to Microsoft !!

SKYPE and my email OUTLOOK.COM are Microsoft !!

Parents
  • Hi Yabbadoo,

Please, follow the guidelines to provide the required info so that we can best assist you:
    How to report problems with Sandboxie

We are missing your current Sbie version, antivirus,  Windows version , what happens in a new Sandbox with default settings, and what are the exact repro steps, so we can give them a try.

Thanks!

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Thank you Barb -

Sandboxie version = 5.31.2 - 64 bit

Windows version = 1903 OS build 18.362.329

All browsers up-to-date

AV = Avast free - version 19.7.2388

Firewall = Windows Defender

Everything worked fine with Windows version 1809.

Nothing Microsoft is accepted by Sandboxie for Windows 1903, not even Microsoft Edge browser.

I would point out Barb that my details are completely irrelevant - this problem applies to ALL

users having Windows 1903 and using Sandboxie.

NOBODY in 220 views on this thread or 673 views on my other thread has said I am talking rubbish !

** This is a Windows Feature Update and Sandboxie compatibility problem, NOT a users problem. **

VIAM INVENIAM AVT FACIAM

• I would just add that a sandboxed Chrome and Opera go into a "no response" mode,

which needs the browser to be crashed to escape. Firefox just freezes and only needs the

Microsoft tab to be deleted - no browser crash out.

VIAM INVENIAM AVT FACIAM

• Microsoft Edge is a new browser. Sophos have stated that it is not compatible with Sandboxie.

It is not compatible because it is new and as Sophos have decided to effectively dump Sandboxie,

it is simply not worth their software technical time to include Microsoft Edge.

VIAM INVENIAM AVT FACIAM

• You can not use sandboxie to execute another program that creates sandboxes.

Dude, you cant use chrome in sandboxie because chrome CREATES SANDBOXES.

Sophos did not even address this main problem, causing lack of security for all userbase. It is not because it WORKS when you execute chrome there that it is protected.

First of all, Chrome IS THE MALWARE.

https://firejail.wordpress.com/documentation-2/basic-usage/

"Google Chrome scanning files in your Documents directory (2018). They say they scan for Windows malware and viruses. It is only a mater of time until this “technology” comes to Linux."

Sandbox do not protect from any browser malware INSIDE chrome too to steal your browser passwords, first of all, if that is the case that i dont know but is good to remember.

REMEMBER to install browsers inside sandboxies to avoid this problem. One malware inside one sandbox cant see the browser installed in another.

If you search firejail documentation, even in linux they have problems with chrome sandboxes, and their jails are much more sofisticated.

Sandboxie will NOT PROTECT YOU IF YOU USE CHROME ANYWAY, understand? There will be hundreds of problems if you try. Specially security ones.

If you are wise enough to use sandboxie, stay with firefox.

• Very interesting, but completely misleading.

Google Chrome works impeccably with Sandboxie in all respects and has done since its birth, irrelevant as to whether it has a security sandbox or not.

With ONE recent exception, that reared its ugly head when Microsoft introduced Windows 10 version 1903.

The ONLY exception to a happy marriage between Chrome and Sandboxie with version 1903 is that for some bizarre reason Sophos has decided to appoint Microsoft - the Godfather of Windows as malware and thus NO Microsoft account or program is allowed within Sandboxie.

Any attempt to access a Microsoft program will seize up the screen and require crashing the browser to escape.

This singular exception to an otherwise infinite and flawless web access is a fundamental software error or a mistaken oversight and nothing whatsoever to do with multiple sandboxes.

I would point out before we get side-tracked by the irrelevant, that Sandboxie worked impeccably with Chrome/Microsoft on Windows 10 version 1809 previous to the 1903 update.

VIAM INVENIAM AVT FACIAM

• Hi Yabb

Are you saying its not possible to INSTALL Microsoft programs in a sandbox? I run all my Office 365 programs sandboxed without any problems, although they are installed outside of the sandbox.

• I thought my dialogue was adequate, but here it is again - we are not talking of a sandbox, we are talking of SANDBOXIE.

With Windows 10 version 1903 and browser Chrome opened by Sandboxie -

1. No Microsoft account or program can be accessed. No ID/password data is present or can be entered and the screen freezes until crashed.

2. You obviously cannot install a Microsoft program since you cannot access any Microsoft program needing input ID data.

If your Office programs work hunky-dory then you are NOT using Windows 10 version 1903 and NOT using Sandboxie.

Firefox and Opera suffer the same as Chrome and Microsoft Edge is a completely untouchable.

VIAM INVENIAM AVT FACIAM

• I would emphasise that this problem has not been disputed by any of the Sophos staff.

It is a fact which arose with the introduction of Windows 10 version 1903.

All previous Windows versions worked perfectly.

VIAM INVENIAM AVT FACIAM

• You did not pay attention to something i wrote:

" It is not because it WORKS when you execute chrome there that it is protected."

I wont enter details because it would need to write a lot.

But you will find why reading firejail documentation.

You do not need a "crash warning", a "process closing"  or something like that to have the protection being broken, understand?

Hope i helped.

Sandboxie makes DLL INJECTION in programs.

Do you really expect that something INSIDE a sandbox can create sandboxes too and work flawlessly?

Malware contained or exploits in chrome sandbox may have full acess to your files and folders for example.

It will at least have unexpected behaviour, memory leaks, etc.

Use firefox.

• Thank you for your comments - I wish you a very nice day.

VIAM INVENIAM AVT FACIAM

• "Use firefox."

Thanks for the advice but Microsoft Skype does not support Firefox.

Microsoft Skype does support Opera.

And NO Microsoft accounts or programs are accepted with a Sandboxied Firefox or any other browser.

VIAM INVENIAM AVT FACIAM

Reply Children
No Data