Dear Sophos I'm very sorry...

I work for and am a influencer and approver for a multi million dollar company with thousands of employees and endpoints. I was actually changing my mind for the positive about you as a company after the fiasco that was your AV and web filtering appliances many years ago. These acquisitions you have made seemed to make your product better.. Demos you have provided us looked decent and while I feel the pricing was a bit much you were in the consideration.. But after seeing the total mess you have made of SBIE and lack of caring or honest and timely answers there is just no way I can suggest our company move forward with the purchase of your product. I'm sure you won't feel the ~500K bump in the road your losing but I feel like I'd be putting my company at risk with you based on the actions or lack of actions I see here. I'll be sure and let your sales guys know "I'm working on it", for the next few months.  I'd be surprised if this post lasts long but hey censorship for things we don't like!

Parents
  • I'm afraid this is not good news at all. Are you aware of the technical abilities required to develop a piece of software like Sandboxie? When it goes open source, who is going to continue developing it? People with the skills to do that probably will not do it therefore that will mean the end of Sandboxie.

Time will tell but I don't think this are good news at all. It's just the opposite... terrible news.

• I totally agree, this is a sad day. I thought the only solution was to resell the product to the original developer or to another company but offer it for free and make it open source is like announcing that it's a dead product that no one is interested in further developing and selling licenses.

I never payed for software but I bought a lifetime license a couple of years ago, and I totally regret it after seeing no interest in improving the program in recent months, but now I understand everything.

Making Sandboxie open source it will probably hurt more than it will benefit, as hackers will be able to find vulnerabilities more easily... but hey who cares? if nobody will be able to continue using Sandboxie in the next versions of Windows.

• I totally agree, this is a sad day. I thought the only solution was to resell the product to the original developer or to another company but offer it for free and make it open source is like announcing that it's a dead product that no one is interested in further developing and selling licenses.

I never payed for software but I bought a lifetime license a couple of years ago, and I totally regret it after seeing no interest in improving the program in recent months, but now I understand everything.

Making Sandboxie open source it will probably hurt more than it will benefit, as hackers will be able to find vulnerabilities more easily... but hey who cares? if nobody will be able to continue using Sandboxie in the next versions of Windows.

Children
  • Jose Ramon said:
    I totally agree, this is a sad day. I thought the only solution was to resell the product to the original developer or to another company but offer it for free and make it open source is like announcing that it's a dead product that no one is interested in further developing and selling licenses.

It's funny to read this:

"Frankly, the easiest and least costly decision for Sophos would have been to simply end of life Sandboxie."

First: we were told support would continue.

community.sophos.com/.../404705

Second: If Sandboxie goes open source, what will be the cost for Sophos if they are not involved in the development anymore? What could be least costly than 0?

For me it's simple: Sophos made numbers and decided Sandboxie's development is not worth for them. As they promised to continue support, now they pretend to continue giving support but will be the community who do it, but who is the community? Anyone could give names of the persons that are included in that community? I don't think so.

If Sophos have the compromise to give support to Sandboxie, users should not allow them to resign from that compromise.