5.30 breaks Internet Explorer 11 on Windows 7 x64 (5.28 works)

1- Sandboxie and Windows version (For example Sandboxie 5.30 , Windows 10 x64 bit 1809):

Sandboxie 5.30, Windows 7 SP1 x64 (with all updates).

2 - Affected applications version (if using a browser, include any extensions as well):

Internet Explorer 11 (update version 11.0.120, KB4493435).

3 - List any antivirus installed, and their version:

Eset Internet Security 12.1.34.

4 - Steps to reproduce the issue:

Open an account at www.mql5.com

Login to the account

Open the "signals" link in a new tab. You are not logged in on the new tab (1st issue), although you are still logged in on the first tab.

Login to the new tab and open a signal. All charts are missing there (2nd issue). This 2nd issue occous also if Internet Explorer is started outside of Sandboxie!

Clearing the cache and cookies doesn't help (I do this always on exit of the native Internet Explorer).

5 - Does it occur in a new sandbox with default settings?:

Yes.

6 - Full error message and screenshots of it if applicable. 

No messages.

Parents Reply Children
  • Hello Barb,

only the problem with missing charts exist inside and outside Sandboxie 5.30.

With 5.28 the charts inside and outside Sandboxie are displayed.

The problem with not logged in tabs exist only inside Sandboxie 5.30, but it doesn't exist with 5.28.

If you just fix all of it inside Sandboxie, we'll see further.

I can't test the 5.30 again in the near future, because the computer is busy with calculations for the next weeks and I can't restart it.

Windows 7 x64 with all updates • Sandboxie 5.31.6 x64 • Browser (each with its own sandbox, cleared on exit): Firefox 70 x64, Internet Explorer 11, Pale Moon 26.5.0 x86 • Eset Internet Security 13

• Hi tec tec, 

For the issue that happens outside Sandboxie, I cannot help you.

I did test inside Sandboxie 5.30 (I opened a signal) and did not see any graphics, but this doesn't happen outside Sandboxie.
    If you are following any other steps than opening IE in a sandbox and clicking on a random signal, please let me know and I will re-test this. 
    Still looking into this one. 

Regarding the login issue, here's what I found:

I can repro on Windows 7 and 8.1 as well. It only affects Internet Explorer (other browsers work fine) and sandboxie 5.30.  Any login is "lost" when opening a new tab/window. is not exclusive to the site you are using.  

I have made the devs aware. As a workaround you  may use a different browser for the time being. 

Regards,

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hello Barb,

thank you very much for your tests!

Barb@Sophos said:

For the issue that happens outside Sandboxie, I cannot help you.

I did test inside Sandboxie 5.30 (I opened a signal) and did not see any graphics, but this doesn't happen outside Sandboxie.
    If you are following any other steps than opening IE in a sandbox and clicking on a random signal, please let me know and I will re-test this. 
    Still looking into this one.

Because I also force a sandbox for Internet Explorer, I open it outside Sandboxie with this shortcut:

"C:\Program Files\Sandboxie\Start.exe" /disable_force /box:Internet_Explorer_2 "C:\Program Files\Internet Explorer\iexplore.exe"

This might have been the reason for the problem with the missing charts outside Sandboxie.

Barb@Sophos said:

Regarding the login issue, here's what I found:

I can repro on Windows 7 and 8.1 as well. It only affects Internet Explorer (other browsers work fine) and sandboxie 5.30.  Any login is "lost" when opening a new tab/window. is not exclusive to the site you are using.  

I have made the devs aware. As a workaround you  may use a different browser for the time being.

I already use two other browsers at the same time.

Internet Explorer, Windows Explorer, Actual Window Manager, the Metatrader terminals and Windows Live Mail are only allowed to use the cores 0-3, Pale Moon and Firefox the cores 4-7, other software all cores.

Thus the very old Xeon (3.2 GHz) is always relatively busy on all cores and always runs in turbo mode (3.3 GHz). If I open the many tabs of mql5.com in an additional Firefox instance (instead of Internet Explorer), the load (CPU and RAM) on the system increases so that it is no longer usable. This is the reason why I use IE for this site and other browsers for other sites.

It took me months to find a suitable combination of browsers, CPU affinities and CPU priorities (automatically set by Actual Window Manager or scripts).

Wouldn't it be possible to release a version that only addresses the problem with the license server and is otherwise absolutely identical to 5.28?

Windows 7 x64 with all updates • Sandboxie 5.31.6 x64 • Browser (each with its own sandbox, cleared on exit): Firefox 70 x64, Internet Explorer 11, Pale Moon 26.5.0 x86 • Eset Internet Security 13