This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

[Sandboxie Status Update] What happened to the Sandboxie site and forums? [Last updated Sept 10th 2019]

LATEST UPDATE - September 10th 2019

Major Sandboxie News: Sandboxie is now a free tool with plans to transition it to an open source tool

https://community.sophos.com/products/sandboxie/f/forum/115109/major-sandboxie-news-sandboxie-is-now-a-free-tool-with-plans-to-transition-it-to-an-open-source-tool/414182#414182

Hi all,

This is Barb@Invincea (Barb@Sophos in this community).

First, we'd like to explain a bit of what happened with Sandboxie.com and the forums (forums.sandboxie.com -currently offline):

We started experiencing issues with our servers due to a bug that is causing slowness accessing the Sandboxie site, as well as the licensing/activation options.
Added to that, we found a security weakness in the software being used for the forums, and out of an abundance of caution, they were taken down for the time being. 

In order to keep communication going, we have created this temporary forum within our Sophos Community.

Second, here's the current status of things:

• A new Sandboxie build has been created to help us address part of the issues, but due to the current server status, it cannot be automatically pushed to users.  To manually download it please see below:
           Click here to download Sandboxie 5.30
           Latest Beta versions are listed here

• As of now, we will only support issues related to Sandboxie 5.30 (XP users see below).
  • XP Users need to perform the following steps to avoid their computers to constantly use your network to access sandboxie.com :

• Click Help --> Check for Updates
    Choose "Next week"
    Do not choose "Never" (or your computer will not stop contacting the Sandboxie site, using your network resources). 

• For the time being, buying options are not available (to prevent additional issues with our licensing server).
  • Licenses and activations are working now.  For activation issues please follow this thread: Activation failed - Please provide feedback
    For Offline activations: the page is not properly redirecting, please use these links instead:
    Offline activation
    Offline activation steps
  • Dev teams are actively working on investigating the issues and finding fixes for them. 

We would like to thank everybody for their patience and understanding. 
Please, feel free to start a new thread in this forum as needed (Sandboxie v5.30 only).

Regards,
Barb.-

[locked by: Barb@Sbie at 2:58 PM (GMT -7) on 6 May 2019]
[unlocked by: Barb@Sbie at 9:55 PM (GMT -7) on 22 May 2019]
[locked by: Barb@Sbie at 9:56 PM (GMT -7) on 22 May 2019]
Parents
  • This reply was deleted.

Barb@Sophos
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I downloaded SandboxieInstall.exe from https://www.sandboxie.com/DownloadSandboxie a few minutes ago, and the EXE i got was identically with version 5.28 from February (i checked it with a MD5 compare tool). The EXE from the post above was version 5.30 from April, so i think you should have a look at the download area within sandboxie.com, so that it also is the newest version 5.30 and not the 5.28 with the Update-Loop-problem.

Also you probably want to add the tip for the XP-users (or for all users of version 5.28 and older), that they can manually edit the sandboxie.INI in path c:\windows, and change the value of "SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck" to 2124300600, so that the update question is delayed to 25th April 2037. Otherwise they have to click "Next week" every week, and "Never" always adds the date of 18th April 2019 into the INI and so the Update-Question-Loop is restarting. The conversion between Unix-TimeStamp und readable date can be made for example at www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

• I downloaded SandboxieInstall.exe from https://www.sandboxie.com/DownloadSandboxie a few minutes ago, and the EXE i got was identically with version 5.28 from February (i checked it with a MD5 compare tool). The EXE from the post above was version 5.30 from April, so i think you should have a look at the download area within sandboxie.com, so that it also is the newest version 5.30 and not the 5.28 with the Update-Loop-problem.

Also you probably want to add the tip for the XP-users (or for all users of version 5.28 and older), that they can manually edit the sandboxie.INI in path c:\windows, and change the value of "SbieCtrl_NextUpdateCheck" to 2124300600, so that the update question is delayed to 25th April 2037. Otherwise they have to click "Next week" every week, and "Never" always adds the date of 18th April 2019 into the INI and so the Update-Question-Loop is restarting. The conversion between Unix-TimeStamp und readable date can be made for example at www.onlineconversion.com/unix_time.htm

Children