This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

No login screen available when computer locked

We use SafeGuard Enterprise 5.50.8.13 and Windows 7. We are seeing some intermittent strange behavior. When we lock our machines to go to a meeting and come back, there is no login screen available. It's just sitting at the Windows splash screen but there's no way to unlock our machines so the only option is to hard boot them and lose everything we have open. We've had this happen to 4 machines just today. It happened to me 3 weeks ago and again today. We are trying to figure out what's causing it but it only happens to machines with SGN installed.

I know there is an issue sometimes where the little green key doesn't appear on the C: drive within My Computer due to the number of overlay icons. Could this be related to that issue??

:9215

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi JuJo,

thank you very much for posting this one.

This is not a know issue to us. However, based on your description my assumption would be that the Authentication Service fails for some reason and that the credential provide is therefore not started any more.

I think you should be able to see some error message in the event log for this if my assumption is right.

Regards

Dan

:9399
  • Hello

I am having the same issue and this happens quite frequently. Whenever I lock my machine half of the times the login splash screen becomes un-responsive. Can you please let me know where I can find the event log file as mentioned in your post.

Thanks

Amit

:13343
  • Hi Amit,

the eventlog is part of Windows. You can access it via Start > Run > eventvwr

It might make sense if you open a ticket with your local IT admin to raise an official support call for this.

Regards

Dan

:13359
  • I am having the Same issue.   I called Sophos and there not able to help me on this.   I checked the logs and nothing.  I re-image the computer and same problem.   Sophos Engineer advised to upgrade from to 5.6.  I upgraded and same problem.    

:15919
  • Hi Carlos,

thank you very much for posting.

Can you please be so kind and call the helpdesk again to re-open the case. When doing so please provide athe following information:

1. A copy of the application and system eventlog (saved as evtx)

2. A copy of MSInfo32 (Saved as NFO)

3. A trace level 0 once the issue happens. How to enable tracing is described in KBA 108081 (http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/108081.html )

>> Please activate the tracing after installing the SGN client and before rebooting the machine.

4. A detailed steps by step description how the installation was done and at which point the client was rebooted

Regards

Dan

:15931
  • Was a fix found for this issue or should I open a support ticket as well?

:16657
  • Hi DJames01,

at this point I have seen only one case that used to point into the same direction > it was related to the hard drive which reported back as an OPAL drive even though it wasn't one.

So, I would recommend opening a case and doubl check this as I'm still not aware of any general problem here.

Regards

Dan

:16771
  • Good afternoon,

Was there ever any resolution to this?

:29641
  • Hi,

We have a slight variation of this problem in that the Credential provider (logon screen) dissapears when we swipe our fingerprint when the screensaver is active.

One potential get out of jail free fix is to RDP to the end point that has no logon option, sign in as the user, then disconnect the RDP sesssion. - The logon options then become active again.

This obviously means that you will have to grant the user Remote Desktop rights, but it may save you from having to reboot the end-point and lose data!

Regards,

John

:29651
  • We currently have the same issue and using RDP will allow the log in screen to come back. We have also disabled SIngle Sign On (recommended  by support) but this has not fixed the issue. We are not using OPAL drives. There does not seem to be any way to reproduce the issue on demand. If I receive an answer which fixes the problem, I will post the resolution. Good luck.

Safeguard MC 6.00.0.115

:29709