This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Thunderbolt Dock and Bitlocker

Does anyone else run the new thunderbolt docking systems and run into issues with bitlocker requesting recovery key after undocking?  I have found a work around of disabling thunderbolt support but no fix.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi JohnMintz, 

I have not heard of this issue, sorry.  Should I hear any thing I will post back here.

Bill.

• Hi John - Could I have more details of the hardware you're using please? Which dock/laptop etc? I'm guessing you've tried suspending protection too prior to removing it? Not ideal I know but at least it'll prep the laptop up for the potential hardware change?

• This is currently happening on all Dell laptops that utilize the WD-15 and TD-16 docking system.  The two Dell models we are running are the 5510 and the 7370.  These plug into a USB-C port.  

• Thanks for that John, much appreciated. Quite concerning really. Have you logged this with MS?

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Response from Microsoft on this issue:

"BitLocker is designed to go into recovery mode when docking/undocking a portable PC.

Docking or undocking a portable computer. In some instances (depending on the computer manufacturer and the BIOS), the docking condition of the portable computer is part of the system measurement and must be consistent to validate the system status and unlock BitLocker. This means that if a portable computer is connected to its docking station when BitLocker is turned on, then it might also need to be connected to the docking station when it is unlocked. Conversely, if a portable computer is not connected to its docking station when BitLocker is turned on, then it might need to be disconnected from the docking station when it is unlocked."