This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Green Key won't show after initial FDE Encryption SG Enterprise 5.50

One of my customers reports back that after inital encryption that appear to be succesfull, the green key won't show up on boot partion in Explorer. SGNState reports back that the disk is encryption, so does the Management Center. Everything seems to be correct, but the icon won't show. I've also confirmed that the "Show overlay icons in explorer" is not set to NO. The green key appears on other machines using the same policy,

Are there any tricks to getting the "green key" back, as this might confuse the user?

RTB

:2565

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi RTB,

thank you very much for submitting this issue.

Actually I cannot see any reason why the key should not be displayed. The only thing that could thinhk of would be if the required DLL to display the key is not loaded correctly.

Please try to manually register  be_shellex.dll

Should this also fail please open a new support ticket

Regards

Dan

:2735

• RTB wrote:

One of my customers reports back that after initial encryption that appear to be successful, the green key won't show up on boot partion in Explorer. SGNState reports back that the disk is encryption, so does the Management Center. Everything seems to be correct, but the icon won't show. I've also confirmed that the "Show overlay icons in explorer" is not set to NO. The green key appears on other machines using the same policy,

Are there any tricks to getting the "green key" back, as this might confuse the user?

RTB

Hi RTB,

Thank you for posting your question in the SophosTalk community forums.

The only time I have seen something like the behavior you are describing in the past was when anti-spyware falsely identified our classID as Win32.Adverts.TrojanDownloader malware :mansurprised: and moved the referenced DLL (bedevctlps.dll) to a quarantine queue. When all the details were worked out, we had the anti-spyware company exclude our DLL and we now use a registered classID.

You may want to start there and if my advice does or doesn't yield any useful results, please open a case with Sophos Technical Support. If the bedevctlps.dll is being falsely accused of being malware again, we will work with the software manufacturer to resolve this misunderstanding. :smileyhappy:

:2763
  • where is this be_shellex.dll ? I couldn't find it. we use sgn 5.50.0 with xp sp3.

thx

ps: we have a problem with the new version 5.50.0. if you open the explorer the first time after the login, you have a short delay. i tried to deactivate the icons but the delay still exist, but if i delete the regkeys for this icons the explorer is fast as before with 5.35x.

keys: hklm\software\microsoft\windows\currentversion\explorer\shelliconoverlayidentifiers\SgnIconOvln*

is this a known issue ? have anybody else this problem?

:4432
  • I had a end user who's media showed as being encrypted in the hard drive properties but the C:drive was not displaying the Green Key Icon.

I tried all of the above. During my google searches On how to do the above suggestions I came across a search suggestion about a program called tortoiseSVN (it has icon overlay control settings). I took a look and my user has it installed.

I opened the program and  I saw the Icon overlay options. I unchecked all the icon overlay boxes and rebooted. The Green Key icon was back on the C: drive !

:8361
  • Had this same problem. Here's a KBA:

Article ID:108970
    Title:Overlay icons are suddenly not displayed anymore
    URL: http://www.sophos.com/support/knowledgebase/article/108970.html

:8465