This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Newb looking to reimage a laptop with SafeGuard.

How do i re-image a laptop that has SafeGuard on it?  Specifically i have a Levono T420 with I think Win7 could be newer? I bought at a school auction.  I don't care about any of the data on it; I just want to re-image the entire laptop.  I'm generally a mac user so any 'for dummies' instructional help would greatly be appreciated. :)

Thanks in advance!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember

Hey Chris,

Just a regular format of the hard drive will be fine.

Are you able to boot into Windows? If so you can uninstall like so (assuming it's Windows 7 with Full Disk Encryption and the school has applied permission for uninstall):

1. Right click on the drive you want to decrypt and decrypt it. This may take some time (typically 8-12 hours). Make sure the machine doesn’t sleep or hibernate by setting all applicable power settings (Start > Control Panel > System and Security).
    2. Uninstall the SafeGuard Configuration package (do not reboot).
    3. Uninstall the SafeGuard Client (do not reboot).
    4. Uninstall the SafeGuard Preinstall.
    5. Reboot the machine.

If the above fails then unfortunately you'll need to take the hard drive out, slave it to a PC and format the disk. I'd strongly recommend getting this done by someone familiar with PCs.

Hope that helps Chris.

• I'm not sure I can boot into windows.  At startup i get a msg that says "Workstation is locked! Perform Challenge/Response to unlock".  Is there a way to get around this to wipe/reinstall windows?

Thanks again!

• All you can do is boot with a CD and install Windows or put a fresh image on it, unless the previous owners have not removed the machine from their management environment and are willing to perform a challenge/response session with you.

Sometimes, after a fresh install or re-image it might be necessary to fix the master boot record.   Boot from Windows CD, start the recovery console, and (for Windows 7) use bootrec / fixmbr

“First things first, but not necessarily in that order” – Doctor Who