This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

HP EliteBook 840 blue screening after being encrypted?

We have started rolling out Safeguard to the laptops in our facility and have been getting calls of machines blue screening after we encrypted them. So far the only common factor has been that they are HP EliteBook 840 models. Is here a know issue with these models that would be causing them to blue screen, or is there some proprietary software from HP that can cause this? They are all Windows 7 Professional 64bit.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    Hi Jacob,

We do get numerous reports of issues on these machines, but they should be fine if all the requirements are met for encryption. Can you confirm if these machines were defragged and put through a chkdsk C: /F /V /X?
    Do you know if these machines have the HP Drive Encryption application installed? This will cause conflicts when installing an additional encryption application such as SafeGuard.

Typically the bluescreen details will show something like:
    UNEXPECTED_KERNEL_MODE_TRAP (7f)
    Arguments:
    Arg1: 0000000000000008, EXCEPTION_DOUBLE_FAULT
    Arg2: 0000000080050031
    Arg3: 00000000000406f8
    Arg4: fffff8800144c761
    BUGCHECK_STR: 0x7f_8
    DEFAULT_BUCKET_ID: WIN7_DRIVER_FAULT

If that doesn't help please upload a screenshot of installed applications on one of these machines and I'll see if there's anything that looks suspect, like Intel RST / RapidStart.
  • I'll grab on of the machines and let you know.
  • That worked, we also had to turn off the Fast Boot in the BIOS.
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to JacobBryson
    Great news, thanks Jacob!
  • We are having issues getting Safeguard drive encryption installed on our EliteBook 840s.  I have attempted to install it on two devices but get an error saying Safeguard failed to install at the reboot after the install. 

HP ProtectTools (Drive encryption is not installed). 

A chkdsk c: /f/x/v fails with the error: "Cannot open volume for direct access. Autochk cannot run due to an error caused by a recently installed software package. Use the system restore feature from the control panel to restore the sytem to a point prior to the recent software package installation"

I have attempted a restore but that fails as well.

I did noticed Intel Rapid Storage Technology IS installed on both machines.

What do I need to get Safeguard installed on our EliteBook 840s?

Below is screen shots of all installed programs on one of the laptops.

• I ran into this too. Once we removed all the HP security programs, HP 3D Drive Guard, HP Client Security Manager, it worked for us.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Rachel Wulffenstein

cannot open volume for direct access typically means there's an application locking the drive.

Intel Rapid Storage isn't typically an issue, it's Intel Rapid Start that tends to cause the most issues for us, it's that that enables things like Fast Boot which bypasses essential drivers.

I would investigate anything that may lock the drive, but it shouldn't be anything wrong with that drive.