This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SafeGuard 6.00.1.31 hibernation problem

Hello,

I'm using the Sophos SafeGuard 6.00.1.31 purchased by our company.

On my new Levono Thinkpad X250 with Windows 7 64-bit version installed in, I'm not able to use the hibernation mode.

After do the hibernation and I'm starting the laptop again POA comes up for authentication. After the success login, the windows shows the command line, that the windows was not shutted down correctly. So I can restart Windows in safe mode or normal mode.

Inside the event viewer there are kernel errors. (Event ID 41 - Kernel-Power  Task category 63.

Do you have any idea why is this happening? I do not found anything on the KB. The hibernation file (hiberfil.sys) is on C:\ drive which is encrypted as well. 

Thanks,

Peter

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember
    Hi Peter,

Is it a Hibernation mode that's used in conjunction with Sleep (hybrid mode) as that won't work.

That event ID also indicates the machine wasn't shut down properly: support.microsoft.com/.../2028504
    Does the machine come back up properly if you restart?
    How are you hibernating, from the start menu?

You're also on a very old version, I would strongly recommend upgrading to SafeGuard version 7.
  • Hi Toby,

Thank You for your support.
    I'm not using the hybrid mode (I read it here at the forums to disable it).
    When I restart the machine from hibernation or sleep, after the POA window, the Windows 7 is telling me that the shutdown process was not correct so I can choose from a list to start the Windows using safety mode or normal mode. If I choose the normal mode, windows booting up correctly without any problem, but my hibernation will be lost. So I can say Windows is starting as it is booting up after a correct/normal shutdown, but with this behavior I'm not able to use the sleep or hibernate on my laptop which is quite a missing feature after all.

Am I able to upgrade to version 7 with the company license issued to v6.00.1.31? Whom should I ask (my company SD or Sophos contact center?

Thanks,
    Peter
  • FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to PeterFiletoth
    Hello Peter,

You're very welcome indeed.

Yes absolutely, almost all Sophos products offer free upgrades. If you login to your MySophos account you should see the downloads there.

Please let me know how you get on Peter and I'll be happy to help if you're still having issues.
  • Hi Toby,

I'm new here. I (and many other colleges) do have a very similar problem with hibernation.

Our setup: Lenovo T550, Win7 64bit, Sophos SafeGuard 6.0.x, no separate System partition (100MB-partition).

I tried your suggestions (installed a newer SafeGuard version 7.00.0.97, turned off/on hibernation, turned off hybrid mode) but nothing does help.

Windows 7 still is telling me that the shutdown process was not correct so I can choose from a list to start the Windows using safety mode or normal mode.

All my colleges trying to use the hibernation mode do have the same issue.

Is it possible that there is a relation to the SafeGuard policy (which is for all our laptops identical)? Please can you give help?

Thanks

Roland

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Roland Roderer

Hey Roland,

Welcome to the communities!

SafeGuard 6.0 is now quite old and is due to be retired in the new year (6.1, 7.0, 8.0 have been out since then plus all the minor versions).
    I would strongly recommend upgrading to SafeGuard 8 which will include the latest support for whatever is running on your machine.

I would also recommend upgrading to Windows 10 Pro as that will avoid all the low-level POA issues.

• FormerMember
    0 FormerMember in reply to Roland Roderer

Hey Roland,

Welcome to the communities!

SafeGuard 6.0 is now quite old and is due to be retired in the new year (6.1, 7.0, 8.0 have been out since then plus all the minor versions).
    I would strongly recommend upgrading to SafeGuard 8 which will include the latest support for whatever is running on your machine.

I would also recommend upgrading to Windows 10 Pro as that will avoid all the low-level POA issues.

Children
  • I'm not really sure whether you read my posting. Because you wrote in your posting before (8 Jan 2016 5:49 PM) I upgraded to 7.0. Your suggestion was that when Peter upgrade from version 6.x to 7 than it will work fine. I did it but it does not work. Now your suggestion is: upgrade to 8 and it will work. Are you serious that this will really work?
    I'm working in a big company and cannot change my Windows. I think it could be better to investigate the root cause for the malfunction and not to suggest install a new version of the SafeGuard and/or of the operating system.

Best regards

Roland