This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Error: "Cannot Obtain Computer Key"

Hi,

I have a workstation that has been locked out and requires a challenge/response to continue. It is running Sophos SafeGuard v5.50.8.13 and is a managed Enterprise client. I have performed a challenge/response to successfully unlock workstations on a number of occasions. However, on this occasion I am getting the error message "Cannot obtain computer key" when I use the recovery console to generate a response code.

Has anybody seen this error before and would be able to advise a solution?

Thanks

:52407

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I've seen this before, and there are a couple of things you can try:

1. Make sure the data and time in the BIOS of the computer that is forcing the CR at POA is correctly set. If not, set it to the correct time.

2. Make sure the computer name you're typing in when searching for the machine in the Management Center (MC) is the same computer name that shows up on the initial CR screen on the bad computer.

3. Select the same user that you type in for the User Name on the CR.

4. I usually select Boot SGN Client without user logon. What are you selecting?

I normally don't see that error for CR at POA, but when trying to unlock a computer after booting to the Recovery CD. In that case, exporting a new recovery.tok file usually fixes that. But in this case, you don't need the .tok file.

Can you go over what other steps you are going through in the MC that leads you to the error?

:52425
  • Many thanks for the suggestions MWFH. I did some digging and managed to resolve the issue. In the MC, I noticed the computer key was "inactive". Within the console, I could drag the key and re-assign it to the computer account. Once that process completed, the computer key was rendered active again and I could unlock the device in the normal way.

:52583
  • I can also see the computer key but get the same error although this thread is old my version of safeguard is v7 how do you re-activate a key I see no such way on this version, the only solution I see from sophos is to initiate recovery!! seriously all this because a user locked out the machine their has to be a way other than recovery methods.