This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Dell Latitude E7240 NO INIT issue

Hi Folks

Just taken delivery of a Dell E7240 Netbook, nice it is too. Windows 7 Pro.

We are runningSophos Enterprise Console 5.2.0.644

Installed the Ant--Virus no problem

Then as normal I run through the encryption stage and this is where it went wrong.

At the point where the initial encryption client install had completed the auto reboot started and the machine rebooted, all looked normal until the machine restarted and the sophos client started, there then appeared the NO INIT error.

This of course means you cannot boot the machine but using bootrec /fixmbr I could then reboot, uninstall the safeguard client and pre-install. All back to normal.

So I tried it again with the same result.

Does anyone know why I cannot encrypt the SSD on a Dell E7240? I don't even have Bitlocker option...

Ta

Miek

:44541

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Howard,

we're currently investigating the NO INIT issue on the DELL Latitude E7x40 machines.

If you haven't already opened a request with Sophos Support, I'd like to ask you to raise a ticket and provide the following information:

Sophos Diagnostic Utility (SDU)
    http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/33533.aspx

How to gather hardware information for the POA settings generator

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/110285.aspx

We had two support request describing the same issue - although using SafeGuard Enterprise 6.00.1 - that could be resolved by switching the POA HDD controller mode from ATA to IN13 using the hotkey Shift-F6. Please see http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/107781.aspx for details.

Regards,

ChrisD

:44561
  • Hi Chris

I have carried out a factory reset of the machine in question as I was not sure all Sophos encryption data had been removed so there will be no diagniostic information there. I have run the diagnostic utilities and would like to raise a ticket but cannot find where to actually do this on the support website.

Can you advise please?

Thanks

Mike

:44571
  • The following steps should resolve the issue:

1. Encrypt the laptop.
    2. If the 'No init' message reoccurs, reboot the machine and then hold the Shift key just before the 'SafeGuard is starting' message appears.
    3. This should cause a message along the lines of 'Shift pressed, awaiting hotkey' to appear.
    4. Once this message appears, keep holding Shift and then press F6.
    5. Reboot, then see if this resolves the issue.
    6. If not, toggle the rest of the options one by one as detailed in the following knowledgebase article:
      Article ID: 107781
      Title: SafeGuard Enterprise: Hotkeys and the POA
      URL: http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/107781.aspx
    :44991
  • The only problem with this solution is that I can't get the POA hotkey option to come up. I'm on a Latitude E7440 w/SSD, Win7 Pro x64 and SG Easy 6.00.1. I've tried with the shift key over a dozen times so far and it never recognizes it. Of course the laptop leaps through the BIOS in about a second, but I've tried holding it the instant I see the 'Dell' splash come up as well as trying to time it just as the BIOS finishes and even holding it immediately after I press the power key. Nada. None of the BIOS options to prolong the POST seem to have any effect either. I turned on 10 second delay and thorough POST and it's still like lightning. Even tried an external USB keyboard without luck.

Any ideas other than to keep trying in hopes of hitting the nano-second when the shift key will be recognized?

Erik

:45099
  • I have a similar config E7440 (i5, 128GB SSD, Win7 Pro x64), and have installed SafeGuard Enterprise 5.60.1 on it.  only major change we made between the E7440 and previous models was that we had to add NOATA=1 in the installation command line, otherwise the laptop would exhibit the similar symptoms to both you and the original poster.

We also had similar problems with the 6430u.  Unfortunately, we didn't buy any non-ultrabook notebooks from the Ivy Bridge generation, so I can't say if the same thing happens with regular E6x30 or E5x30 machines.

:45179
  • This is the first ultrabook the company has gotten. We've had E6520s and E6530s that have had no problems with the 6.00.1 client. Interstingly enough I did have a partner get a personal E6430u that she was going to do some work on, so I installed the SG 6.00.1 client and had no problems at all. It seems to be unique to the 7xxx series. I'm wishing I'd just gotten one of that model for this user!

I'm not sure where to go with this 7440. I'm not sure if it actually started to encrypt or not. I've never gotten booted all the way in since the client was installed. If not, maybe just rebuilding the MBR will get me back to Windows, but probably not. I've tried dozens of times to change the hotkey, but I can never get it to seem to recognize the shift key and allow me to make the change. I could just load the drivers on our WDS and try dropping our standard image down, but I'm not thrilled about doing that with a brand new machine.

Erik

:45181
  • Hi Guys,

thanks for all your feedback! We tested the new DELL E7240 and E7440 machines with SafeGuard Enterprise 6.00.1 and as you’’’’ve already mentioned, the POA configuration needs the INT13 mode (Shift-F6 Hotkey) to boot up correctly.

The machines have been added to the POA settings database file, so if you install with the latest configuration file, the POA on the DELL E7x40 is automatically configured to INT13 mode and there is no need to press a hotkey any longer.

SafeGuard Enterprise Client: Latest POA settings database file

http://www.sophos.com/en-us/support/knowledgebase/65700.aspx

Regards,

Chris

:45203
  • Hi, i have similar problem on DELL E5440 an i solve like this :
    - Enter the BIOS Setup at startup (F2)
    - Under "System Configuration-SATA Operation" change to "AHCI"

Thats all ...
    HBaykaL

:49880
  • Thanks Its working for me. My laptop is dell latitude 3440 ,

Reboot the system & press shift+F6..After that sophos Autologon screen comes & enter into windows OS with out any error.

Thanks

:52467