This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Need more information about encrtypion

Hi TEm,

I just want to understand the below encryption methods available in policy:

1.Volume Based Encryption--Will it cover entire volume drive OR Will it over entire drive with inside all files & Contents????????/

-Need  to more understand about

1.Native Device encryption--Bitlocker

2.Device Encryption----Need to know main role

2. File Encryption:-

What is does exctly in local or extrnal drives OR STorage??????????????

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • I am not sure the exact intent of your questions but I will try to answer them:

" 1.Volume Based Encryption--Will it cover entire volume drive OR Will it over entire drive with inside all files & Contents????????/"

VBE - will encrypt the entire volume. It does this sector-by-sector and is agnostic to data content. This means it takes the data specific in the sector (regardless if it is part of a larger file) and encrypts it individually and then moves on to the next sector. In the default configuration it will encrypt the entire volume. If you have selected Fast Initial Encryption, it will only encrypt sectors marked as active in the Master Records Table.

"1.Native Device encryption--Bitlocker"

This means it will use Bitlocker to encrypt the volume. This is good for UEFI compatibility and is robust since it is integrated directly into Windows.

"2.Device Encryption----Need to know main role"

I am not sure what you are referring to here - however, I assume you mean the SGN legacy encryption method. This is Sophos' encryption process and uses our own Power On Authentication (POA) system. This isn't compatible with Windows 8+.

"2. File Encryption:-

What is does exctly in local or extrnal drives OR STorage??????????????"

File Encryption is per file and based on target location. Usually this is a file location on a file server. There are also options to encrypt files in remote storage solutions like Onedrive and such.

I hope this answered your questions. If you need more clarification - please let me know.

RichardP

Program Manager, Support Readiness | CISSP | Sophos Technical Support
    Support Videos | Product Documentation | @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'Verify Answer' link.