This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Upgrade SGNClient from 7 to 8

After the upgrade Sophos Server from 7 to 8.1.1 i have problem with upgrade sophos clients. When i run msi package SGxClientPreinstall.msi from installer i have Error Code 2803 when i choose the upgrade option.

When I press the OK button, the installation continues. After restarting the computer and installing the SGNClient_x64.msi package and restarting the computers, everything works fine. Computers are visible in the SafeGuard (R) Management Center.

The same problem occurs on Windows 7 Pro and Windows 10.

Logi file says "

The installer has encountered an unexpected error installing this package. This may indicate a problem with this package. The error code is 2803. The arguments are: , ,

=== Logging stopped: 2018-11-23  07:21:17 ==="

Sophos Client before upgrade 7.00.1.2

After upgrade 8.10.0.323

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi - you don't actually officially need the pre-install msi on your OS (Win10), and you'll not need it in an upgrade anyway. You'll just need the installer and then create a new configuration package and install that. The "old" pre-installer could remain on the PC and shouldn't really cause any issues. Once installed it doesn't need upgrading by Sophos.

All the pre-installer contains is Microsoft Visual C++ Redistributable for Visual Studio, and you should find this is included in Win8 and above. I think your error is seen as you've probably something installed that's conflicting with this (a newer version perhaps) and you're trying to install another version over the top.

So don't worry - Install the latest client AND the configuration MSI. Check the PC reports into the console but more importantly - Check you have a recovery key for the PC and you should be good to go!

https://docs.sophos.com/esg/sgn/8-1/admin/en-us/esg/SafeGuard-Enterprise/tasks/ClientInstallLocal.html