This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SGportable.exe not copied to portable media

Hi everyone. 

I'm in the process of deploying SGN within our organization. I'm currently testing everything and ran into a problem with Removable media encryption.

Initial encryption works fine, but the SGportable.exe is not copied to the usb stick. The map and hyperlinks are created but the map stays empty. I was thinking antivirus and/or other policy's might be blocking the transfer of the .exe file. I checked with our network team and this is not the cause.

Is this a known issue? Or has anyone any advice on how to solve this? I've tried searching the forums here and ran google search but it does not seem to be something known, because i can't find much on this issue.

See screenshots for server settings and usb media content:

Policy settings for removable media:

USB root content:

SGportable submap:

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Jef, 

I don't think I have come across this issue before. Does this happen for all USB drives you have or just for some?  If it fails only for some, what is the difference for those which work?

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I'm still in the initial phase of testing and have only tried it on 3 different sticks. All three sticks were tested on 2 laptops with a media passphrase policy.

They are however different model/brand and all have the same issue.

2 are unbranded so i cannot provide you with a brand/modelnumber to check on compatibility. These are however USB sticks with our company logo on it, wich are given to our employee's, so they are used quite allot in our company. In device manager it says in the details tab it says "Microsoft" for one stick and "generic" for the other under the supplier value.

The 3rd one is a SanDisk 32GB usb3 micro stick, the model number for that one is SDCZ43.

I have tried resetting the media passphrase as per KB https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/114196 , but this does not resolve the issue.

Changing the policy to use a predefined key instead of media passphrase allso does not solve the issue. 

Safeguard Enterprise is Version 8.0.4 and the clients 8.00.0.251

I did a search for the SGportable application on the clients and i can find that in 'C:\Program Files\Sophos\SafeGuard Enterprise\SafeGuard Enterprise\FileEncryption' so it defenatly is not removed/quarantined by endpoint protection.

• I have found a KB that mentions this issue: https://community.sophos.com/kb/en-us/110963 , so i will check with our network team again that we can try this and see that is has any effect.

If i copy the files over to the USB stick manually it works though...