This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SafeGuard Enterprise Client installation stops with error 5014 (SGN#1452)

I'm trying to get a demo of safeguard installed for testing before purchasing and am getting error 5014 when running the client install.  I found This KB and did the suggested solution but I am still receiving the error.  I have all of the files copied to directory c:\sophos and am running the following command in command prompt with elevated priviledges from the directory containing the files.  

c:\sophos>msiexec /i c:\sophos\SGNClient_x64.msi /L*VX c:\sophos\log\install.log POACFG=c:\sophos\POACFG_as_of_6_1x.xml

I've tried running in straight from \system32 with all the files copied there as well as copying msiexec to the c:\sophos\ folder and am still receiving the error.  I ran the preinstall msi already and that ran without issue.  This is on a Dell Latitude e5420.  I've also tried the install on a Latitude e5430 with the same results.  I've attached the log output which should contain a few installation attempts.  Any direction on where to go from here would be appreciated.

:51916

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Just a thought - have you tried saving the command in a batch file and running it in the C:\Sophos folder?

:51928
  • Some may think it goes without saying, but I strongly recommend working on a clean computer that you don't mind blowing up.  Be prepared to reinstall Windows or rebuild it from an image as part of your testing.

The log file shows "Installation success or error status: 1603".  Searching for this returned several things to try; I would start with this (because it's easy and quick to do):

from http://h10025.www1.hp.com/ewfrf/wc/document?cc=us&lc=en&docname=c02455020

Register Windows components

Follow these steps to register the Atl.dll file, and then Windows Installer. Sometimes these components are un-registered or corrupt, and re-registering can resolve the issue.

1. Register the Atl.dll file Click the Windows icon and then click Run. The Run window opens. In the Open box, type regsvr32 Atl.dll, and then click OK. On the RegSvr32 screen, click OK.
    2. Unregister and reregister Microsoft Windows Installer Click the Windows icon on the Windows taskbar, type msiexec /unregister in the Search programs and files box, and then press Enter. Click the Windows icon on the Windows taskbar, type msiexec /regserver in the Search programs and files box, and then press Enter.

Other suggestions:

• See if the install works after deleting temp files using CCleaner or similar, then rebooting.  CCleaner has a portable version you can run without needing to install it.
    • Run chkdsk on the C: drive
    • Confirm that the installation works if you run the installer manually by opening the msi.  If you don't install the client config package, you should be able to uninstall the Sophos SafeGuard Client software from Programs and Features.  Otherwise, follow the uninstallation steps in the installation guide.

Best Wishes, Matt Bollinger

:52204