This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Migrate PureMessage Unix RHEL5 x64 to CentOS7 x64

Hello,

we are using the Sophos PureMessage for Unix for about 9 years and are very happy :)

Now it is the time to change the operating System, because the old is eol :(

My Question is, it is possible to backup the /opt directory completely and copy it to the new System and extract it there and everthing is running ?

I have tested it and its looks like good, of course I have made the following adjustments:

- localectl set-locale LANG=en_US.UTF-8

- add pmx6 user and group # of course with the corrrect uid/gid :)

- yum remove sendmail # because we are using all services include the puremessage (Database MTA ...)

- yum install glibc.i686

- touch /etc/puremessage-6 # =>
                /opt/pmx6

- put the server cert and key to the correct system locations

- generate an logrotate-pmx script

- install the systemd start script

So when i start any service from the puremessage manually or all with pmx-init, its looks good and no error will be generated and when i have migrated i do the Update from 6.3.3.2656215 to 6.4.2.2738846 with pmx-setup and no error will be generated, too.

The only what i can not testing is the postfix service because i do not want to risk it :o that some wrong Mails will be delivered.

Can someone tell me if I can do this or if there is a general recommendation for such a change?

Thanks

Dirk

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hello,

can anyone give me a statement?

Thanks

Dirk

• Hi Dirk,

In regards to upgrading from C5 to 7.x.. there are really 3 options.. and only the 3rd can be helped from us.  (your options may also be swayed if you are a standalone or multi server environment) regardless option #2 is the best

Option #1,

Identify all of your configuration and custom entities .. ie lists, ldap items and similar..   Install a new cent distro and rsync the /op/pmx directory.  depending on your configuration this will either work or fail miserably.  I do NOT recommend this approach and it will be even more difficult if you don't have exact documentation for your system

Option #2,

the recommended solution : install brand new vm's with unique host names and move your policy.siv and list files over manually onto the new system .. You will need to install the CSM first, then the radis server, then edge servers (if applicable)

the main reason for this is that by installing fresh it will ensure all of the "under the hood" configuration is correct.. ie: no database updates and a better chance of retaining your lists and data.

Option #3

is the same as #2, however you would get in touch with your account manager and inquire about a Pro Services engagement. They will recreate your system and deploy brand new 6.4.4 servers / csm / radis.  Depending on your support contract, you may have complementary PS hours, else thre is a charge for the service.