This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Too Much Obvious Spam, What Can Be Done?

Just a sample of the messages (subjects) I received today:

• LAST-DAY: You currently-have $155 in Walmart-Reward Points: Redeem-Today from Walmart Points Center <WalmartPointsCenter@shoppingcardonlinerewards.com >
  • Garage door repair services from Garage Door Fixes <Drake@janascircle.com>
  • New phone features boost productivity from Telephone Systems <Ellis@shhanchang.com>
  • Always-Wanted to Drive a Ferrari? Rent-an-Exotic Car from Exotic Car Rental <ExoticCarRental@uniquecarrentalshop.com>
  • Hot Vacation-Specials to Costa Rica from Costa Rica Trips <CostaRicaTrips@foremosttravelplans.com>

This comes in every few minutes, not only to me, but the exact messages to everyone in the office (some 80+ employees).

We currently run PureMessage 3.1.3 for Exchange 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2. This wasn't an issue a few months back, just recently. How do such obvious spam messages get through? Is there any way to combat it? We're talking 30 - 40 messages a day multiplied by 80+ users... Sorry, but that should invalidate your product as a Spam Filter...

Any thoughts, any avenues I can turn to get a resolution to this?

:57455

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • We have the exact same setup, versions and issue.  We are getting tons of blatant spam delivered to users.  I've lowered the settings to delete anything 71 or higher and quarantine anything above 40 but it's not helping.  I can see it is blocking about 35% of incoming messages as spam but for some reason is allowing more than 50 obvious spam messages per day to be delivered to some users.

:57528
  • We have the identical setup as CBeyer and the same problem. Lots of obvious spam gets through. This year has been the worst since using Sophos and the last few months are unacceptable. My personal inbox has received about 20 spam emails per day for the last couple of weeks. Other users are complaining as well.

I had called into support a few weeks ago and their only suggestion was to keep submitting samples. I need a better solution than that.
  • Hi All-

I want to jump into this as well.

Has anyone received any additional feedback from Sophos on this?

I'm quite close to just jumping the Sophos ship all together because of this.
  • We have the same issue. PM ver 3.1.3.0 running on Exchange 2010 on Windows Server 2008 R2. We have asked if there is a simple way of getting the Outlook junk folder to synch with PM. The idea being that if junk gets through to desktop the user should be able to educate OM to delete it in future. Seems an obviuos thing to want in such a system to me. Have we missed something?
  • Bump. We have the same problems on PureMessage 4.0.1 on WinSrv 2008R2 w/Exchange 2013. Messages are scanned but spam score is to low to trigger, but content is obvious spam. Our I.T. Director is not happy. Apparently this forum is not the right place to get answers.

• We have the same problem. I keep trying to block all of the weird domain extensions that are being used, but now they are using .eu and I don't want to block that. The spammer keeps switching IP address ranges as well. Based upon the subject line it is obviously SPAM. I have a license for Sophos through March 2017, but we are considering getting something different and losing out on the money since PureMessage just is not effective. However based on how long this thread has been going and no response yet from Sophos, I doubt anything will change.
  • We use PureMessage for UNIX with sendmail and had the same issue with increased SPAM getting to users. I did the following to greatly improve the anti-SPAM functioning:

Add pmx_blocklist to /opt/pmx6/etc/policy.siv file. I found this is needed even if MTA IP Blocking is turned on.

if pmx_blocklist {
    pmx_mark "pmx_reason" "Block List";
    pmx_quarantine "Blocked";
    stop;
    }

Set anti-spam options "Disable non-relay checks?" to Yes

Set anti-spam options "Disable All Network Checks?" to No

Add "block_dynamic = Yes" to /opt/pmx6/etc/pmx.d/blocklist.conf, run pmx-blocklist-compile, restart pmx and sendmail.

Add "F=T" to sendmail.mc INPUT_MAIL_FILTER(`Policy',`S=inet:3366@localhost,F=T,T=C:5m;E:8m;R:4m;S:2m')

Add FEATURE(`sockmap',`inet:4466@localhost',,) to sendmail.mc and in local services turn on MTA IP Blocking.

Upgrade PureMessage from V6.2.1 to V6.3.0

Send sample SPAM to Sophos as attachments to is-spam@labs.sophos.com
  • Having the same issue. Constantly getting spam. All our spam has Office Document attachments. So I have added Office files extensions to the restricted file types. Which then means they are quarantined. I as admin can choose to manually deliver these files. For whatever reason, these restricted file types are then not included when users are sent the spam digest email. So I cannot find a happy medium. I have been unable to find a usable configuration for PureMessage. Exchange currently works best with its standard filtering and adding Puremessage to the network makes SPAM a bigger problem. If users at the very least can choose to deliver genuine emails with restricted attachments it would be workable for me. If I could whitelist some senders and their domains so restricted attachments are allow through, it would also work for me. But I cannot whitelist addresses for restricted attachments, and the users cannot choose to deliver these emails via the digest web console. Therefore leaving me looking very unprofessional for requiring everyone to contact me to manually release IMPORTANT emails. The alternative is to be bombarded with SPAM. What use is puremessage? Really, what advantage is there to using it? It makes SPAM worse not better! No resolution from Sophos. Puremessage is not a workable solution!