This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

SMC client sync on demand from console

Why is there no 'Action' available to force a device, or devices, to synchronize the SMC app?  

I do understand that it synchronizes automatically every 24 hours, but our compliance policy is set lower than that to ensure we have a closer to real-time picture of the device.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Greg, 

Let me check if the sync interval can be customized. In the meantime, pushing policies manually should keep the devices synchronized. 

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hello

What could be helping you out is the SMC admin manual regarding sync gaps and sync frequency.
    Only visible when you have created on compliance rule for your device group.

SMC 7.1 admin manual -> Compliance policies -> Available compliance rules

Max. synchronization gap

Specify the maximum interval between synchronization processes for devices.

Maximum SMC app synchronization interval

Specify the maximum interval between iOS app synchronization processes for devices.

• SMC console shows two sync times - 1 for MDM and the other for SMC app.  I have no issues with the MDM sync, as the device is always showing current within a few minutes.  I assume that 'Max synchronization gap' is what does this.

I had to dial back the 'Maximum SMC app synchronization interval' from the default 1 day to 3 days as the emailed report gets bloated fast.  It would be nice to have the iOS Background App Refresh actually work for the 'Control' app.  It appears the only way it actually works is to continually run the 'Control' app, and that is not something my clients will be willing to do.

• It should also be noted that this became a bigger issue when we upgraded the management console from 7.0.10 to 7.1.4.  On 7.0.10 there never were any devices showing non-compliance with the SMC sync.

Has anyone else experienced this issue, or am I the only one?  I really need a resolution to this, or a way to roll back the management console version.