This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Your device might be at a risk - how to diasable message?

Hello,

I use Sophos Mobile Security. Every few hours Sophos reports 'your device might be at a risk' in the message-bar of my android because my phone is rooted. I did this intentionally and don't want to change it. I need root for flightmode and other things.

How can I disable this message without desiabling everey new message like virusreport etc.?

Thanks for help.

Regards

gw

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi  

Unfortunately, we do not have an option to disable this alert. As the rooted devices are not safer (not recommended) and Sophos Mobile Security is a security product it would keep throwing the Alert as the device is really at risk. 

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hello

and thank you for the quick answer!

I realy like the app Sophos Mobile Security but I can not understand why I'm not allowed to disable root-alert, but it's possible to disable other messages and alerts like call blocking or device encryption. I think they can be disabled because the user has been informed of the ristk and can decide what to do.  And when I'm rooting my device I know about the risk and can decide to leave it rooted. After being informed I would like to disable this alert, too.

Sorry but under these circumstances I'll look for another security-app for my device.

Best regards

gw

• Ridiculous. Of course you could allow it to be ignored.

Removing device encryption is also a security risk but that can be ignored.

In my case the device is not even rooted but SMS is incorrectly telling me it is with the same message. How do I get rid of the annoying alert except by removing the app.

Stunning logic!

• I completely agree. There is no sane reason to display this message every single day. In my case it's invalid too, as I haven't rooted my phone. Fix it or face massive uninstalls.

• Hello,

My phone is not rooted.

I don't understand why I shall get every couple of days, then every couple of hours, a notification because Sophos has no access to internet to update its virus database.

If I don't access to internet, there is no risk I get something Sophos is supposed to protect me !

With the previous releases, there was not this bad behavior.

Please, allow user not to raise this notification while no Internet access is active.

If you do not allow user for that, I guess I will be obliged to forbid Sophos to raise any notifications.

• This appears to be a conclusion that rooted devices are intrinsically unsafe (debatable if care is taken) and also a conscious decision to remove any ability to disable (or even suppress the warning for a period of time).  All other warning notifications can be disabled, and so I must conclude that you consider this risk so high that users must never be allowed to ignore it.

After waiting for a while for this to be "fixed" I've now become so frustrated with this permanent notification, that I intend to remove your software.  This is a great shame, since I have found it to be some of the best security software available for Android. 

Clearly other users are also finding it frustrating and I would urge you consider allowing it to be disabled.  By putting a permanent notification up that cannot be removed, you are essentially frustrating the more advanced users (most users don't even know how to root a phone). I can assure you that the notification, however persistent, would never cause me to revert to a non-rooted, bloatware filled, system and I doubt that it would have behaviour changing effect on others either.  

• Well spoken - that's entirely my opinion!

Meanwhile I've deleted this app but I'm following this discussion because I hope that sophos will change their opinion!