This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Disable Factory Reset while Encrypted

Is there a way to recover or reset devices that have the Factory Reset option disabled, while at the same time being Encrypted with a Secure Startup PIN?  This is a hypothetical case that I am trying to work around to prevent Endusers from Factory Resting devices while keeping the device(s) encrypted, and to address devices being locked out with a forgotten PIN.  

For reference in this case, the devices are consumer grade and do not have the Enterprise management. 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi  

Please suggest which Sophos Mobile control product you are using - Sophos Mobile Control On-prem or Sophos Central Mobile?

If the Factory reset option is correctly set up and disabled for users through Sophos MDM software, users should not be able to reset the device.

Regards,

Jasmin
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Support

Sophos Support VideosKnowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts |
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link

• Hi Jasmin, 

We are managing many devices using the Sophos Mobile Device manager housed on-prem.  What I am trying to accomplish is a broad solution to ensure device security. 

Disabling Factory Reset only addresses part of the problem. The issue that comes with that is if a user changes the PIN/Password and I need to reload the device. If factory reset is disabled, the device is Encrypted, and the user forgets their PIN, is there a way to factory reset the device as an admin? 

• Hi Jasmin, 

We are managing many devices using the Sophos Mobile Device manager housed on-prem.  What I am trying to accomplish is a broad solution to ensure device security. 

Disabling Factory Reset only addresses part of the problem. The issue that comes with that is if a user changes the PIN/Password and I need to reload the device. If factory reset is disabled, the device is Encrypted, and the user forgets their PIN, is there a way to factory reset the device as an admin? 

Children