This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Installed App and OS updates

15th July 2019

Hi,

I'm new to Sophos Mobile Central. I have about 20 mobiles that I want to manage. Most will be managed as Owner Device, but there will be a few where it is BYOD. My question is how are app updates and OS updates carried out? 

So, for example, If Samsung were pushing down a OS update, would the user still get notification and get applied or would I need to do this from Sophos Central?

What about app updates, EG if there was an update to Chrome Browser, would I need to push that down to all devices manually?

If there is a KB that someone could point me through to that would be great.

Kindest Regards

Dave S. Chunilal

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi  

You can allow/block OTA updates for Android devices by creating an Android device profile and setting up restrictions. More on it here.

Android Enterprise Device Policy can give you more control regarding system update like postponing the update or install within the maintenance window. With the help of Android Enterprise Device Policy, you can select the option to allow managing apps where users will not be able to perform the following tasks for apps: Uninstall apps, Disable apps
    Stop apps, Clear app cache, Clear app data, and Clear setting Open by default. More on it here

Thanks,
    Yashraj Singha
    Manager | Global Community Support
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation | @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question, please use the "Verify Answer" button.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos!  Visit Sophos Techvids
  • Hi Yashraj,

Thanks for the response.

On the first link you have provided, under security section, the options that are available in the help are not the options that are available on Sophos Central -> Mobile -> Configure -> Profiles, Policies -> Android -> Restrictions. IE, "Allow over-the-air firmware updates" does not exist as an options. There is a "System Update Policy" which has the options of, "No Policy", "Install Automatically", "Install within maintenance Windows", "Postpone". So what option on the pull down do i choose for me to decide when updates are pushed through? IE what do I set this to and then how do I do the install "manually"?

I need to know this for both Android OS updates and App updates.

Basically, I don't want all OS and apps to be just updated automatically, I want to decide when the endpoints get the updates and on which app.

Thanks

Dave S. Chunilal

• Hi  

It seems that you have selected Android Enterprise Device Policy. There you will see the option for System update policy and you can set it according to your needs. On the other hand, in Android Device Profile, you can allow over the air firmware update. There is no option to push the update manually as of now. As mentioned earlier, you can set the option to install it automatically, install it within the maintenance period or postpone it in the Android Enterprise Device Policy. If you want to see a feature where you are able to push updates manually for your Android devices, then you can create a feature request so that our product management team can have a look at it.

For applications, you can go to Apps> Android> Add app> Android Package. Here, you can upload the desired version of the application and assign it to the desired device group. Later on, when a newer version of the application is available, you can upload it and push it to the devices after pushing the uninstall command for the older application.

Thanks,
    Yashraj Singha
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation | @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
  • Hi  

It seems that you have selected Android Enterprise Device Policy. There you will see the option for System update policy and you can set it according to your needs. On the other hand, in Android Device Profile, you can allow over the air firmware update. There is no option to push the update manually as of now. As mentioned earlier, you can set the option to install it automatically, install it within the maintenance period or postpone it in the Android Enterprise Device Policy. If you want to see a feature where you are able to push updates manually for your Android devices, then you can create a feature request so that our product management team can have a look at it.

For applications, you can go to Apps> Android> Add app> Android Package. Here, you can upload the desired version of the application and assign it to the desired device group. Later on, when a newer version of the application is available, you can upload it and push it to the devices after pushing the uninstall command for the older application.

Thanks,
    Yashraj Singha
Children
No Data