This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Anr/xgen-vc

How can I remove andr/xgen-vc? I did'nt find this malware in internet, exept in an Sophos help file. Several other antimalware does'nt find it at all. Is it a fake?

Thanks for kindly help

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Joachim Hoster & Tim Krieger,

Anr/Xgen-vc is Sophos nomenclature for android based malwares, you may not find any reference with other AV vendors(As they might follow thier own naming methods) or othr sources.

May I know if you are using Central or On-premise version of Sophos Mobile control?

- Thanks for the addtional information on this. Will it be possible to provide the log for the detection? (Navigate to Sophos Mobiel security > Menu > log >Check for Security assessment entry)

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi,

thanks for your answer. I for myself am using Sophos Mobile Security, so the Sophos freeware. I am not sure if this is the answer to your question if I am using Central or On-premise version of Sophos Mobile Control because I think there is a difference between Mobile Control and Mobile Security.

According to the log entry:

When I had a look in the log for that entry, I first could not find any entry where the detection of that malware was mentioned. The reason for this is, that there is no malware or PUA detected during the daily scheduled scan. But when I perform a manual scan the malware is detected. The according log entry is:

“Threat "Andr/Xgen-VC" was found in app "Update" (com.redstone.ota.ui)”

(I am using the German version of this app, so the text above is my own English translation, and so it might not be exact the same as in the English version of the app.)

• Hi Tim Krieger,

This is something that we would like to investigate further with the logs from the respective device. The best course would be to open a support case (Anyone with a non-free version of Sophos Mobile security) so that we can move forward with this detection.

If Anyone already has a support case open, please DM the details.

Regards,

Gowtham Mani
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• [#8244402] is my Web support query

Gertrud Szilinsky

• Actually, I really liked the mobile app from Sophos.

I had an unsuccessful attempt to communicate directly with Sophos by phone and open a case. I tested several antimalware and installed Sophos one last time. After that I decided for another product.

Unfortunately, I can not serve with a logfile anymore.

I wish all concerned good luck in finding the cause for the wrong message, my first guess (see my beginning of this thread).

Regards,

Joachim Hoster

• Hi everyone,

would it be possible to get details regarding the devices in use (Manufacturer & model) and the currently installed firmware version?
    Our Labs team is currently investigating this issue and requires this information.

Thank you in advance

Stefan

• Hi,

good to hear that you’re working on this issue. I am using the Gigaset GS270 plus with android version 7.0. The actual installed firmware version is “GIG_GS270_plus_S120”.

Earlier this morning I also communicated with Joachim Hoster via private message and so I know that he is also using the Gigaset GS270 plus with android version 7.0.

Regards,

Tim

• Seems to be a Gigaset problem: I have a Gigaset GS170, Android 7.0, Build GIG_GS170_S110, Kernel 3.18.35+, Baseband-Version MOLY.LR9.W1444.MD.LWTG.MP.V110.5.P33 2017/11/14

[#8244402] Web support query won't help me, because it doesn't apply to the free version

• Hi Stefan,

GS270 plus

android 7.0

Baseband ver. MOLY:LR11.W16.30.MD.MP.V16.3.P17, 2018/05/08

Kernel ver. 3.18.35+

Build GIG_GS270_plus_S120

I ask for help though I have a freeware version.

Thank you in advance,

Joachim

• Hi everyone,

thank you for the device details.
    I have forwarded them to our Labs team for further investigation.
    Once I get additional information from them, I will update this thread.

Best regards
    Stefan

• So another five days have passed. Are there any solid news on this yet? Still getting the same results here.

Is there an ETA as to when this will be resolved? What's the current status of this? Are more tickets necessary or will this issue be taken care of via the information you forwarded to the "labs team".

I'm running a Sophos UTM home license and was very happy with the product. It led me to believe Sophos is a trustworthy and experienced security company but so far I'm utterly disappointed by the handling of this issue.

1. First of all do you realize that Sophos Mobile Security (SMSecurity from now on) is currently blocking the updater component for all of the affected devices? Currently you are denying security upgrades for affected devices - in other words Sophos Mobile Security makes those devices less secure. Why? And why the relaxed approach to resolve this brand wide issue?
    2. Secondly the app (SMSecurity) does not allow whitelisting apps. The Manage Allowed Apps feature does not work - it only has a trashcan icon, no icon to add apps.
    3. Third, once "detected" SMSecurity will not forget about that - even if you DISABLE scanning system apps or blocking PUAs as well as running a new manual scan.
    4. Also the scanner itself cannot be disabled! Even if you disable all checkmarks in the scanner settings the scanner shows itself as still active.
    5. Next is why the hell is the software so restrictive about PUAs anyways. The definition of PUA is potentially unwanted application. Please make sure you are correct on the labeling
    6. Furthermore this issue affects all devices from gigaset. In my case a GS370 Plus - the severity is very high, the response time very poor. Nothing even close I am expecting from a security company trying to keep my device up to date and secure.
    7. Sixth is I have to doubt that the setting Data Tracking works for the benefit of the user if all this can be seen in plain daylight and nothing is done. Putting the security of affected devices at SERIOUS risk.
    8. The information on the "scan result" is not helpful at all. "Malicious object > Threat Andr/Xgen-VC identified". What's making me more secure now based on that information?
      Is it being blocked? Removed? Quarantined? Allowed? Can I whitelist it?
      The info on the "More Details..." page is useless again. It's a search on sophos.com for andr~xgen-vc!
    9. How does the app handle exceptions and issues? How can I report issues? Even the help section is broken (not sure if always but when I last checked it gave me: "Help is currently unavailable. Please try again later."
      I expect a lot more from a security tool and especially the incident process.

One threat or PUA found.
    Security assessment; 2018/07/27 01:01:35; com.gigaset.helpapp added to security assessment
    Scanner; 2018/07/27 01:01:17; Threat 'Andr/Xgen-VC' was found in app 'Upgrade' (com.redstone.ota.ui).
    Security assessment; 2018/07/27 01:01:16; com.redstone.ota.ui with threat Andr/Xgen-VC added to security assessment
    Scanner; 2018/07/27 00:59:51; Virus definitions updated to version 3.72.42:2018072512.

Please forward this to the team and act on this issue. The android landscape is very diverse - it takes decent processes to keep up with it. App signature scans are not the solution.

• Anything new?

It's quite some time now since we forwarded our details!!

Reply Children