This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Mobile Security problems?

Hi,

I don't have the exact message anymore but I got a message on my phone that the app Sophos Mobile Security app was tampered with and I needed to uninstall it and install it again from the Google Play Store.

I did uninstall it and installed it again from the Google Play Store.

However it wants me to give permission for:

Device administrator permissions required

Sophos Mobile Security requires the following device administrator permissions to protect itself against uninstallation:

Erase all data
Erase the phone's data without warning by performing a factory data reset.

Change the screen lock
Change the screen lock

Monitor screen-unlock attempts
Monitor successfull and unsuccessful unlock attempts

Lock the screen
Control how and when the screen locks

My question are:

Is or was there a problem with Sophos Mobile Security?

Why should I give administrator permission to Erase all data, Change the screen lock and Lock the Screen?

I did not give those permissions yet!

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Sterre de Bruijne,

When you enroll your device to SMC system with Sophos Mobile Control. Sophos Mobile Control will require administrator permission because:

• All of Mobility Management Solution is used to control employee's mobile device which use store business data.
    • If your device is lost and you need remote lock device from SMC system --> Sophos Mobile Control need administrator permission to do that. Serious, if your mobile device contain important data and you really make sure this don't leak, you could remote erase data from SMC system --> Sophos Mobile Control need administrator permission to do that.

Above is any case which explain SMC solution need administrator permission.

- XG v17 Technician Certificate -

• Hello, I had the same issue with the Sophos Mobile Security app (I have a screenshot of the warning message) but I didn't reinstall it because it drained my battery and made my whole phone's process' run slowly...

The problem is, since then, I get a message from my phone the system's process has failed/crashed and indeed, I see my phone regularly rebooting itself for no reason several times a day!!! It worries a lot because when it reboots itself, it doesn't ask me the pin code! Only my lock screen asking my code. So it is a major security threat.

So I am wondering if perhaps, by giving the device administrator permissions to the app to erase all data, to monitor the lock screen,... If it actually bugs/crashes exactly because without the app, the phone/android can't find the administrator!

Or, as said warning, a virus really tampered with the Sophos mobile security app...

I have a Huawei Honor 5x Kiw-L21 android 6.0.1 bought almost 2 years now. I really don't want to have to reset it completely or buy a new phone, as some data can't be transferred to a new ohone....

Anyway, I hope the support team have answers for what's happening to my phone...

• Lilin Kurayami said:

I have a Huawei Honor 5x Kiw-L21 android 6.0.1 bought almost 2 years now.

I have a Huawei Mate 8 Android 7.0

• It doesn't say Administrator permission for Sophos Mobile Control it says Administrator permission for Sophos Mobile Security.

Seems to me that's something different.

And why should I give that permission when not using Sophos Mobile Control?

• Lilin Kurayami said:

The problem is, since then, I get a message from my phone the system's process has failed/crashed and indeed, I see my phone regularly rebooting itself for no reason several times a day!!! It worries a lot because when it reboots itself, it doesn't ask me the pin code! Only my lock screen asking my code. So it is a major security threat.

So I am wondering if perhaps, by giving the device administrator permissions to the app to erase all data, to monitor the lock screen,... If it actually bugs/crashes exactly because without the app, the phone/android can't find the administrator!

Or, as said warning, a virus really tampered with the Sophos mobile security app...

I am also worried that a virus really tampered with the Sophos Mobile Security app.

• You are using Sophos Mobile Securiry only?

- XG v17 Technician Certificate -

• Huy Vu said:

You are using Sophos Mobile Securiry only?

Yes! On my mobile I am using the app Sophos Mobile Security as anti-virus app.

It is my private mobile phone and has nothing to do with any employer.

• The issue starts with App protection.

If I want app protection I need to accept the fact that Sophos Mobile Security and NOT Sophos Mobile Control wants administrator rights.

And Sophos Mobile Security tampered with?

• Hi Sterre, 

Sophos Mobile Security is the application which actually protects your device, Sophos Mobile Control helps your device and the applications communicate with the server and stick to the policies that you create via the Dashboard.

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.