This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Samsung default app for SMS missing

Hi,

We discovered that on some devices the Samsung default app for SMS is missing after putting the device in device owner mode. Is there a possibilty to recover this app. Is it blocked? It can't be installed from Google Play.

It's almost the same with Samsung Gallery. After enrolling the device we can't open pictures and need to download Samsung Gallery from Google Play. Normally this app is preinstalled as far as I can remember.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi  

It is very hard to believe but if you have a new Samsung phone then you need to download the message and gallery application from the Galaxy application store. 

Message and Gallery application never pre-installed from Samsung side as far as I am aware because after purchasing my own Samsung device, I needed to install both of these applications from the Galaxy application store, unfortunately.

Regards,

Jasmin
    Community Support Engineer | Sophos Support

Sophos Support VideosKnowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts |
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link

• Hi ,

I found the Gallery app but not the one for SMS messages. What do I have to look for?

Another issue is that apps that are preinstalled but not accessible (there is a setting for that in SMC) can not be reinstalled from Google Play in order to use them. So locked system apps can't be used as far as I found out. It would be much better if it was possible to grant access to these system apps through Google Play.

Regards, Jelle

Sophos XG210-HA (SFOS 18.0.4) on SG210 appliances with Sandstorm and 1x AP55
    Sophos Central with Intercept X Advanced, Device Encryption, Phish Threat, Mobile Control Advanced

If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• Hi  

Unfortunately, I also tried to search for the messaging application but I was unable to find it.

For the second issue, I'd suggest opening a support case because for that we need to check your configurations in the Sophos Mobile Control.

Regards,

Jasmin

Sophos Support VideosKnowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts |

• Hi ,

so there is no SMS message app when deactiviating system apps? The documentation says that one isn't blocked.

The SMS app is there when activating system apps but that leaves too much unwanted apps on the device. Blocking those apps leaves them visible which is no solution for us.

Regards, Jelle

Sophos Central with Intercept X Advanced, Device Encryption, Phish Threat, Mobile Control Advanced

• Hi Jelle,

tried installing another sms App like Hangouts?

Regards,

Malte

• Hi Malte,

no because most of them include advertisements. And from the manual it says that the message app is not blocked so I really would appreciate if the standard app would be available.

Regards, Jelle

• Hi  

Can you please confirm that "Enable System apps" is checked in your Android Enterprise Device Policy > Restrictions?

Thanks,
    Yashraj Singha
    Manager | Global Community Support
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation | @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question, please use the "Verify Answer" button.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos!  Visit Sophos Techvids
  • Hi  

As written in my previous posts system apps are not enabled because that's not what I want. If I do that there are a lot of apps on the device which cannot be uninstalled and then are accessible or at least visible to the user. Deactivating system apps gives me the opportunity to makes those apps invisible. And again: the documentation says that the message app should not be affected by this setting.

Regards, Jelle

• Hi  

Sorry for the confusion here. The messaging application provided by Samsung is getting disabled by default if system apps are not enabled maybe because it is not a base message application provided by Google on the Android platform and the applications which are documented here, are recommended by Google to be available on the devices which are enrolled under Android Enterprise. Samsung's application provided by them on their smartphones is developed by them, that might be the reason behind its blocking. I'll contact my support team to get the review from their side.

You can use the default Google Messages Application as default SMS option for your users. You may need to install on the phone. Please refer this link to the application. If you still want the Samsung message application to be enabled, I'd request you to open a support case as this needs detailed investigation on why Samsung's application got disabled.

Regards,

Jasmin

• Hi  

Sorry for the confusion here. The messaging application provided by Samsung is getting disabled by default if system apps are not enabled maybe because it is not a base message application provided by Google on the Android platform and the applications which are documented here, are recommended by Google to be available on the devices which are enrolled under Android Enterprise. Samsung's application provided by them on their smartphones is developed by them, that might be the reason behind its blocking. I'll contact my support team to get the review from their side.

You can use the default Google Messages Application as default SMS option for your users. You may need to install on the phone. Please refer this link to the application. If you still want the Samsung message application to be enabled, I'd request you to open a support case as this needs detailed investigation on why Samsung's application got disabled.

Regards,

Jasmin

Children
  • Hi  

It is getting more and more confusing. The issue with the message app from Samsung was on one device. No other had this issue. So what was the difference? On that device Android 7 was installed. So we upgraded to Android 8, did a factory reset and enrolled it again in device owner mode with system apps disabled. Now the message app is available.

This is not the first time I have had issues with SMC and Android 6 or 7. With 8 and 9 it seems to work much better. Still I can't re-install apps which are hidden by the system apps setting to use them. But I have an open support case for that.

Regards, Jelle

• Hi  

Thank you for the information.

Could you please PM me the case number?

Regards,

Jasmin