This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

How to deploy Microsoft Outlook config keys?

I have configured Microsoft Outlook for iOS as a managed app in Sophos Central Mobile Control. This works fine, deployment of the app to devices including installation executes successfully. However, I would also like to pre-configure some settings for the app in order to prevent saving of Outlook contacts to local device contacts app. Microsoft provides some config keys by which the Outlook app behaviour should be controlled.

Refer to: https://docs.microsoft.com/en-us/exchange/clients-and-mobile-in-exchange-online/outlook-for-ios-and-android/outlook-for-ios-and-android-configuration-with-microsoft-intune#configuration-keys

I have tried to select two of those keys: 

com.microsoft.outlook.Contacts.LocalSyncEnabled

com.microsoft.outlook.Contacts.LocalSyncEnabled.UserChangeAllowed

By setting those to "false" and push them to the device by means of Sophos Central-> Mobile -> Apps -> ios Apps -> Settings and VPN. Deployment is executed with status "success" (green), however, the Outlook app behaviour is not appropriate. The user can still change the setting in the Outlook app to "save contacts to local address book", which is the contrary of what the config key should do.

I have put in the config keys as boolean parameters with exactly the spelling as given the MS documentation. 

My question: What's wrong here? Is there any specific synthax for the config keys required? Or is such a scenario not supported by Sophos? Microsoft states, that the config keys should work with any MDM provider.

Looking forward for reading your answers.

BR Hannes Schinko

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi Hannes,

maybe the interpretation of the key is another. The key com.microsoft.outlook.Contacts.LocalSyncEnabled controls if the app should sync contacts. I think this is not to control the right for an export or to save a contact.

Second, the Default if not specified: false. So you don’t gain anything if setting that.

But the problem is interesting, have to try this myself. Is the exported contact accessibil with unmanaged apps? I think this one should be managed.

Best regards

Alex

-

• Hi Alex,

according to MS documentation the two keys have to be viewed in combination: 

com.microsoft.outlook.Contacts.LocalSyncEnabled is the primary setting to control the "save contacts" functionality. MS states: "This key specifies whether the app should sync Outlook contacts to the native Contacts app."

You are right, the default setting is false

com.microsoft.outlook.Contacts.LocalSyncEnabled.UserChangeAllowed - meaning according to MS: "This key specifies whether the contact sync setting can be changed by the end user."

default setting is true, i.e the user can change the setting to save contacts locally - which is not the intention.

Thus, setting both keys to false should result in the intended app behavour: No saving of contacts locally, user not allowed to change this. In my scenario however the user still has full control and can modify the "save as" button. So, my interpretation is, that the config keys are not deployed properly to the app - for whatever reason.

BR Hannes  

• Hello Hannes,

I try this myself with com.microsoft.outlook.Contacts.LocalSyncEnabled.UserChangeAllowed and it does not work. Either if type is bool or string the result is nothing, seems this key is either not correct or we're both not able to understand this correct.
    I use other keys with the outlook app, for example com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailUPN and this one is working, so the deployment of the keys should work in general.

Maybe someone here has another hint?

Best regards

Alex

-

• Hello Hannes,

I try this myself with com.microsoft.outlook.Contacts.LocalSyncEnabled.UserChangeAllowed and it does not work. Either if type is bool or string the result is nothing, seems this key is either not correct or we're both not able to understand this correct.
    I use other keys with the outlook app, for example com.microsoft.outlook.EmailProfile.EmailUPN and this one is working, so the deployment of the keys should work in general.

Maybe someone here has another hint?

Best regards

Alex

-

Children
No Data