This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Android SMC client behaviour - would it have any interaction with any other installed apps

Hello all,

The organisation I work for deploys SMC client via APK rather than Google Play due to the nature of their business requirement. What I am seeing here is that every time when new version of SMC client is published, they go through in-house regression testing to confirm that the client app does not interfere with any other mission critical apps they use on devices. The question I have is, though I understand that every changes require some form of testing, would you say it's a required process to test the SMC client isn't interfering with any other internal apps they use? 

I'd rather want to implement Android Enterprise, turn on auto update feature on for SMC client but given that they wish to go through regression testing with all new releases of SMC client i don't think auto updates for client app would ever happen here. 

To my knowledge MDM is merely a deployment tool and the client app enables the MDM functions/features - nothing else - however I'd like to gain community's advice if an app can potentially interfere with any other app installed on Android device.

Cheers,

Chris 

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Hi  

Sophos Mobile Control does interact with other applications. For instance, some applications might be blocked in your environment. Also, it provides protection against malicious applications. So, your mission-critical applications (which are probably in-house applications) might get interfered when our application is updated/new virus definition files are received. (Honestly, the chances are very slim) However, you can be the best judge here and enroll for Android Enterprise if that would be beneficial and safe for your environment.  

Thanks,
    Yashraj Singha
    Manager | Global Community Support
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation | @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question, please use the "Verify Answer" button.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos!  Visit Sophos Techvids
  • Hi Yashraj,

Thanks for your comment. 

Q1) Can SMC client interact with other in-house applications even when you're not restricting those in-house apps ie. app control etc

Q2) re new virus definition files - this is only via Sophos Mobile Security and Security Guard OR does SMC client also get any virus definition files? 

Q3) would you be able to describe the difference between Sophos Mobile Security and Security Guard please

Cheers,

Chris

• Hi  

1. Yes, those applications will be scanned and Sophos might block them 

2. Sophos Mobile Security application has AV engine which will fetch Virus definition updates. 

3. Some task managers can disable App Protection feature of Sophos Mobile Security. To prevent this, Sophos Security and Antivirus Guard application is required.

Thanks,
    Yashraj Singha
    Manager | Global Community Support
    Are you a Sophos Partner? | Product Documentation | @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question, please use the "Verify Answer" button.
    The New Home of Sophos Support Videos!  Visit Sophos Techvids
Reply Children
No Data