This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Sophos Mobile disables social networking apps and other Google Play apps on Android device that are not forbidden

Hello everyone.

I have a weird problem that happened to one of my android device the other day. I enrolled the device in SMC and when all the policies applied, certain apps such as viber, facebook messanger, instagram, few betting apps that were installed on my colleagues personal android mobile, were automatically disabled. They weren't uninstalled, just disabled. The thing is that I don't forbid these apps through SMC. In fact, I don't forbid any specific app at all. I have few other devices that are also android and iOS, they do have viber installed on them, but are not disabled. Users can use them without any problem. The only difference that I have noticed is that when I enrolled this device (that has disabled apps) I enrolled it after I applied new Sophos Mobile version 8.1 (few months ago, not recently). The other devices that I've enrolled, were when I had Sophos Mobile version 8.0 at the time. Could this be some bug in the new version?
Also, I managed to find temporary workaround for this problem, I had to change my compliance policy for personal devices to allow suspicious and malware apps and also apps installed from unknown sources (the policy will only alert me if such apps are installed on the device, but it won't block email access) and the thing is I don't want to allow them. Can you help me?

Thanks in advance.

Yasna

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
  • Hi Yasna,

SMC does only block apps if they are configured to be blocked. In general, we have no compatibility issues between any 3rd party App and SMC, not on any of the supported operating system (Android, iOS, Windows 10 Mobile, macOS or Windows 10). I would Suggest you check the policy to ensure the apps are not blocked.

Haridoss Sreenivasan
    Technical Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support
    Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport  |  Video tutorials
    Remember to like a post.  If a post (on a question thread) solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.