This discussion has been locked.
You can no longer post new replies to this discussion. If you have a question you can start a new discussion

Issue with Spam Protection in Free Antivirus and Security

I'd like to report an issue with the "Spam protection" feature of your Free Antivirus and Security app for Android.

Device: Sony Xperia XZ Premium

Sony software version: 45.0.A.5.1

Android version: 7.1.1

Your app version: 7.05.2355 (17)

I'll describe the problem as best I can:

Conditions: "Spam protection" activated in app. Several contacts added to blacklist and unknown numbers blocked. Phone ring mode set to "vibrate only".

Issue: When a call is allowed by Spam Protection, my ring mode is changed from "vibrate only" to "normal". This causes my ring tone to play. The ring mode remains in "normal" after the call completes.

I tested to ensure your app is at fault by deactivating "Spam protection" and my ring mode setting is respected when I receive calls from the same contact as before.

Hopefully I managed to describe the issue fully. If there is any more information you require, feel free to ask.

This thread was automatically locked due to age.
Parents
  • Is this forum monitored by Sophos employees? I initially sent this to the support email listed in the Play Store and was told they don't support this product and to post here instead. They also told me in the email that the "Community Support and Dev team will be on hand to assist." Is this the case? An acknowledgement that the issue has been logged would be something at least.

• I guess not then. I'll have to remove the app from my device as I won't use a security solution that has many permissions that receives zero support, even a free one. I'd hope a multi-million pound multinational company could provide even basic support for their products. Oh well. Won't be recommending any Sophos product to anyone in future.

• I guess not then. I'll have to remove the app from my device as I won't use a security solution that has many permissions that receives zero support, even a free one. I'd hope a multi-million pound multinational company could provide even basic support for their products. Oh well. Won't be recommending any Sophos product to anyone in future.

Children
  • Hi Chris , 

Could you please attach the logs , Sophos Mobile Security> Settings>Tracing (Enable) / Recreate the issue and Click on "Send trace " and DM me the file. If possible you may drop a mail at socialsupport@sophos.com. 

Regards,

Aditya Patel
    Global Escalation Support Engineer | Sophos Technical Support

Knowledge Base  |  @SophosSupport | Sign up for SMS Alerts
    If a post solves your question use the 'This helped me' link.

• I reinstalled the app and recreated the problem. I just emailed the logs to the address you gave above.

Thanks

• HI Chris , 

Thank you for the logs , I could not find the SPAM call on your logs . Please recreate the same scenario and email the logs again. I have checked with One Plus phone and found no issue. 

Scenario: During an ongoing call , another call which is SPAM did not have any sounds only a pulse of vibrate was observed. 

Regards,

Aditya Patel

• The issue is that a call that I want to be allowed alters the ring mode from vibration only to normal. This means that my ringtone is played every time I get a call that is not blocked, when I have the phone set to only vibrate.

Phone set to vibration.

ALLOWED call is received.

Phone is set to normal ringtone, meaning ringtone plays.

Call ends.

Phone remains in normal ring mode.

I don't want the ringer mode changed. I want allowed calls to only vibrate as I have set the phone.

Did I explain it any better this time?

• Hi Chris,

Oh yes, I have checked your logs and found this entry that may have overwritten your Phone Settings. 

Please check the settings which are set on One Plus Android based phone and found no issues. 

Regards,

Aditya Patel

• Changing the notification settings for your app has no effect. The phone setting is still altered when I receive a call with Spam Protection activated.

• So, today,  whoever looks after your Google Play account replied to my review that mentions this issue and put the blame solely on my phone.

No other call blocker has this issue. The fault is with your app. I will now be uninstalling it permanently as it's unacceptable to basically say "it's your own fault" when a user has an issue that they've taken the time to report properly and provide logs etc.